DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get a clear picture on how to connect to spa after conduit comes out of ground. I was thinking a LB with some flex liquidtight. not sure if there is a code for if a lb has to be a certain height off the ground or if I will need to fasten down the flex line to the top of the deck. There is a picture attached to show what I'm working with. any ideas would be much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think I should fasten down the flex to top of concrete with u clamps before it enters the spa

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 18" to the spa, after the 90 degree bend then continue inside the spa for about another foot to the spa service pack

·
Registered
756 Posts
The correct way would have been to stub the conduit up thru the concrete at the proper location to feed the panel. I would consider any nonmetallic conduit you might stub up next to the concrete to be subject to physical damage and a Code violation. Are you having this inspected? If so, ask the AHJ. Also, if that is new concrete, you are probably required to have a bonding grid installed and connected.

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not new concrete but i havent ruled out going through it for the feed, just was hoping not to have to. What if i transition to metal conduit to spa

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also if I come up through the concrete should I come from under the hot tub or should I come up right alongside with a 90° going into the spa

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Scratching my head here. In the past I've fed directly to that type of panel or disconnect. Does 680.12 want you to add another ?

Also to consider what if the disconnect was as pictured but there was a deck going around the hot tub at the wall height level.

Reason I ask is some of these units get mounted on something and the top of the walls are even with a deck so you could crawl or walk to get to the equipment

I would think feeding the disconnect that comes with the unit or mounting a separate disconnect at that location would suffice. But wondering if a separate disconnect not closer than 5' is really needed.?

Op. If you could move the tub I would think to have the conduit come up where it's not visible. Depending on 680.12. ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3/4 in. x 10 ft. PVC Schedule 40 Conduit With 4 single 6 awg thhn/thwn conductors. Yes,,,,, i am using it for ground as well. Wire was free and bigger is better so why not use it. Fill rate is good too. Im more then likely going to drill a hole in the concrete right next to spa like inches away and use a access pull elbow to go into kickplate of spa with a very short peice on conduit. Im just worried about the tripping hazard and the possibility of physical damage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts