DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm remodeling my house and have replaced all the electrical in the home. We had an exterior panel to begin with, but it needed upgraded, so we moved it to a new location and put in a new panel.

The old panel had conduit running to the very old fuse box that was also located outside, and that was out they tied into the indoor wiring.

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find a good answer to this. What is the best way to connect my interior home runs to the exterior panel?

Can you simply run a piece of conduit to an interior wall to act as a sleeve? Or do I need to run conduit into a junction box inside and make all connections there?

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Romex is not permitted to be installed outside. Without pictures of the space you are talking about, I can only give you a general suggestion.
I would run conduit from your panel to a J box inside, and use individual wires (thwn) to hit the box and make connections to the romex inside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Romex is not permitted to be installed outside. Without pictures of the space you are talking about, I can only give you a general suggestion.
I would run conduit from your panel to a J box inside, and use individual wires (thwn) to hit the box and make connections to the romex inside.
That's what I was thinking would be the most practical way to go about it. Some people knock out a hole in the back of the panel and run conduit into the wall, then run the wires in that way. This is a code violation though since there isn't a way to secure the romex, but some inspectors allow it.

·
Registered
Building my last home
457 Posts
My new electrical service has 2-2.5" plastic bushings out the back for all of the romex and SER cables for my home. Which is away better than running metal conduit and having to ground both ends of the conduit.

Your description is vague, a picture would be 1000% better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This is the panel located outside, I could drill through the exterior wall and take out a knockout on the back of the panel, then run a sml piece of conduit into the interior wall to act as a raceway. The romex would enter into the conduit from the wall inside into the panel

My other ideas was to take a knockout from the side, use a 90 into my crawlspace where a junction box will be, I'll run the romex into the junction box, and tie that into THWN, which will run back to the panel.

Another option would be run conduit up to my second floor, where I have a place I could also mount a junction box that would be assesible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts