DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed a new garage adjacent to an old one. I considering connecting a pony panel in the new garage to an existing pony panel in the old garage.

Old garage panel is fed from the main house panel (200A service) via a 60A breaker through a #2/3 ACWU underground cable. Panel to panel distance is approximately 125'. This garage is being used occasionally as a light duty workshop with small tools (table saw, compressor, etc.). This old garage installation has passed previous ESA electrical inspections.

The proposal is to connect the new garage panel to :vs_worry:the pony panel in the old garage via a 40A breaker through a #8/3 Teck underground cable. Panel to panel distance is approximately 85'. This garage is being used primarily for storage. Electrical requirements are lights and a few plugs for convenience

Does anyone see an issue with the proposed new garage connection from an electrical code / inspection perspective?

I don't want to connect the new garage panel to the house panel because the cost and effort is significantly higher (due to the distance) than connecting to the panel in the old garage.

Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What is your plan for grounding? Do your cables include a ground conductor? Are you providing a secondary ground (ground rod or other) at each building?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts