DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I want to make a mason jar swag light, with 5 jars. Like this:

I have no idea how to connect the 5 wires to one so that it can plug into an outlet. This has to be a swag light and not hardwired into the ceiling because I am a renter and landlord doesn't want to pay for an electrician. I also already bought a swag light kit. I'm also not sure if this is a horrible idea because the ceiling is made up of acoustic tiles, is this even a strong enough material to hold a swag light? It's okay to tell me this is a horrible idea and not safe!

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Use wire nuts.

Twist together the five gold wire ends and the hot or black wire of the power cord and twist a wire nut over the twisted bundle. Similarly connect the five silver wires to the neutral or white wire of the power cord.

On many lamp grade power cords the two wires are the same color but the jacket has a ridge or groove running lengthwise along the edge with the neutral wire.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Use wire nuts.

Connect the five gold wire ends to the hot or black wire of the power cord and connect the five silver wires to the neutral or white wire of the power cord.

On many lamp grade power cords the two wires are the same color but the jacket has a ridge or groove running lengthwise along the edge with the neutral wire.
And how is he going to meet code with the splices?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
In case you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic.

You are correct...I couldn't tell....it was a long day and I missed the obvious :laughing: besides I think sarcasm loses it's bite in written words....oh well....as sarcastic as I tend to be I should have caught it.

·
Super Moderator
15,760 Posts
I was going to ask about the UL listing also. Sorry Brric, i missed the sarcasm too.

·
Super Moderator
15,760 Posts
Lighting fixtures are tested by recognized testing agencies to ensure that they are safe to use. The testing fees are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Yeah, I see that "light fixture" being a problem. All the heat will be trapped at the lids making the wire susceptible to melting or cracking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Sorry Ma'am!

Tha box is called a handy box, and it is used to contain the wire splices.

That is what you need to hide all the wire nuts for the lamp.
You can find a hanger that mounts to the ceiling grid.

I would use a 3 wire feed to ground the box to the receptacle.

·
Super Moderator
15,760 Posts
That box is called a junction box and contains the splices from all the cords.

As a minimum the connector used at the bottom of that box is being used incorrectly. It also has 22 conductors of an unknown size in it. Using a typical zip cord size it should be sized for 38.5 cubic inches. It is probably less than 12 cubic inches, more likely around 8-10.

The metallic parts are not grounded either.

Now tell me if you think this is safe or would pass inspection.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sorry but the last picture is nothing but scary,maybe you would want to try "low voltage" for you light project,sure seems like it would be safer.
The first thing that came into my mind was heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate to give up but it seems that this project is not feasible. I'll probably just end up attaching one to my swag light kit. It will just be a dimly lit corner! Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
And how is he going to meet code with the splices?
That is a separate program. All he asked was how to connect wires together.

I did forget to add that when the fixture is ready to hang, that the wire nuts must not be subjected to tugging from the weight of fixture components like the Mason jars.

Now I thought that it did not violate code to hang a non-Underwriters Labs approved light fixture on the wall or ceiling and plug its power cord (not stapled to the wall) into a nearby receptacle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.