DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first post. I've been successful in many plumbing projects, however, I have a few questions with hooking up this ice maker for the first time. Please see picture attachment.

There is a strange looking shut off valve located at the base board behind refrig. It has 3 openings; a saddle ('T') valve connected to it with the plastic white tubing from refrig, and a half-turn angle valve attached to it ,straight on, and the last opening is just exposed.

The closest water supply is the kitchen sink, 6 feet away on adjacent wall.
1. Does copper line need to run from refrig to shut off valve?
2 How do I handle the shut off valve connections? I was told it has not been used in years.
2. Is ok to run braided line under kitchen floor in crawl space? or is there a risk of it freezing?
3. Since the kitchen compression valve does not have a dual opening, give me some of your tips with replacing it.
4. Is this going to be a nightmare?!
Thank you for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
No problem just take your time. shut the water supply off under the sink and install a new valve under the sink ( a ball valve) remove all the old line, valves, etc,etc,
Install a new copper line to the ice maker line on the back =of the refrigerator and support it with a little strap through the small screw holes. Make several loops in the copper about two feet each(like a slinky toy) so you can pull the refrigerator out for servicing and cleaning coils.
Open valve check for leaks and throw away the first couple dumps of ice

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
That old connection is a mess---the saddle valves fail more often than not----it is installed so close to the abandoned old compression valve that replacing the compression valve might well make the saddle valve leak----

Is there an easier place to add an new 1/4 turn ball valve shut off?

I would suggest leaving that mess alone or capping it off and looking elsewhere for a feed line---

Reactions: COLDIRON

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
This looks pretty bad to me, and I would not live with it. It is hard to tell what is going on here other than you have a right angle supply valve that should go, a tap-on that should go and probably plumbing that should go. Is your piping copper? its really hard to tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.