DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought a dishwasher and I am trying to figure out how to properly attach the electrical. The installation manual that came with the Bosch 24 inch 500 series shows how to connect to a cable with 3 wires (copper, white and black), but I only have 2 wires white and black and the grounding is the metal around the cable. The junction box is plastic that I am suppose to connect the white and black wire.

I would attach some pictures if I could, but this is my

first post and I am not allowed. Seems like the junction box is more rare in dishwasher as I didn't find any youtube videos how to connect the electrical to them. The junction box has black, white and green wire build in.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,123 Posts
Install an appliance cord on the DW and install a receptacle in a metal box with proper connector for your BX cable.

Reactions: Petronella

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still need clarification

I went to store today looking for the metal casing to go around the junction box and the people at the store didn't think it would be grounded since nothing would be touching the green terminal in the junction box. What do I need to do? Also sorry about not using the proper terms for electrical stuff, since I am new to this....

So the junction box that came with the dishwasher will plug into the dishwasher and need to be put under the sink according to the directions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, what you mean is to purchase appliance cord (ac cable?)for the dishwasher and install an outlet (receptacle?) under the sink (sorry I am not understanding the terms) That would mean I can't use the junction box cord that came with the dishwasher? Is there any other options? my husband was thinking of adding copper wire from the bx cable and connecting it to the right terminal in the junction box...is that totally against the code or dangerous?

·
Registered
714 Posts
so, what you mean is to purchase appliance cord (ac cable?)for the dishwasher and install an outlet (receptacle?) under the sink (sorry I am not understanding the terms) That would mean I can't use the junction box cord that came with the dishwasher? Is there any other options? my husband was thinking of adding copper wire from the bx cable and connecting it to the right terminal in the junction box...is that totally against the code or dangerous?
NOOOOOOOO, DO NOT DO THIS.

Install a junction box for the MC cable under the sink and extend it to the dishwasher with a NM cable if you do not want to take the answers above. Results are the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOOOOOOOO, DO NOT DO THIS.

Install a junction box for the MC cable under the sink and extend it to the dishwasher with a NM cable if you do not want to take the answers above. Results are the same.
I still details understand how to connect the bx/ ac cable to the junction box. Since the junction box is plastic do I need to get metal one instead so I can ground the dishwasher properly? Is there a way to use the plastic junction box and still have it grounded?

Here is the image of the junction box that came with the dishwasher http://bobbyandpetronella.blogspot.com/2014/07/trying-to-install-dishwasher.html

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Except that the flex cord acts as the disconnect vs the hardwired method you describe that would need a means of disconnect like a switch or breaker lockout.

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
To the OP, where are you located? I have never seen that style junction box on a DW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go Packers! (my wife is from Green Bay/De Pere)

Don't know if you got this thing installed but here are some answers if anybody else needs them.

Ok there are a few ways to do this (I have this dishwasher BTW):

1. You can get your self a metal junction box run your MC cable (metal clad) to it. Then get some NM (romex) 12/2 wire and feed it in and wire nut black to black and white to white and then wrap the copper ground from the NM cable around a screw in the metal box. Now you have the armor grounded to the box and the NM ground wire is grounded to the box. Exiting you have a 3 wire NM cable with a hot a neutral and an active ground you can feed into your plastic box. Make sure you use cable clamps on the box to prevent stress/cuts on the cable.

2. Buy the alternative proprietary Bosch cable. Part#SMZPC002UC. Its like 20 bucks. Dishwasher connection on one end and then a 3 prong on the other. Then get a metal box and add a GFCI outlet to the box and wire your MC cable to it and then just plug in the new cable.

Either one of these situations you must put the boxes in a cabinet besides the dishwasher, not behind it.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Go Packers! (my wife is from Green Bay/De Pere)

Don't know if you got this thing installed but here are some answers if anybody else needs them.

Ok there are a few ways to do this (I have this dishwasher BTW):

1. You can get your self a metal junction box run your MC cable (metal clad) to it. Then get some NM (romex) 12/2 wire and feed it in and wire nut black to black and white to white and then wrap the copper ground from the NM cable around a screw in the metal box. Now you have the armor grounded to the box and the NM ground wire is grounded to the box. Exiting you have a 3 wire NM cable with a hot a neutral and an active ground you can feed into your plastic box. Make sure you use cable clamps on the box to prevent stress/cuts on the cable.

2. Buy the alternative proprietary Bosch cable. Part#SMZPC002UC. Its like 20 bucks. Dishwasher connection on one end and then a 3 prong on the other. Then get a metal box and add a GFCI outlet to the box and wire your MC cable to it and then just plug in the new cable.

Either one of these situations you must put the boxes in a cabinet besides the dishwasher, not behind it.
yes, gfci and receptacle.
And the millions installed, hardwired, with a non locking breaker in a panel are all unsafe and wrong...

sleighs me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
To the OP, where are you located? I have never seen that style junction box on a DW.
Jim, this is what Bosch provides with dishwashers currently. It's a plastic box designed to be surface mounted inside a cabinet. There are screw-down terminals for hot, neutral, and ground for incoming power, and separate terminals wired to a cord that runs to the dishwasher.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.