DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using 2X8 20' beams for my roof joists. They are supported underneath on both ends by a LVL beam. I need additional overhang on each side so I want to add another 2X8 to each. There will be no support underneath these so I want to make sure I connect them to the existing 2x8 (supported underneath) properly. Should I use 3" nails (3 vertically) every 18" or so or is there a better way?

Thanks

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,386 Posts
You can see the project clearly, I unfortunately can not. A drawing would really help.
As a added hit every time I double up with rafters, I drill the boards and use 3/8" bolts washers and lock nuts. Spaced 4-6" apart depending on the loading of the situation.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can see the project clearly, I unfortunately can not. A drawing would really help.
As a added hit every time I double up with rafters, I drill the boards and use 3/8" bolts washers and lock nuts. Spaced 4-6" apart depending on the loading of the situation.
Here is the profile pic. The 2X8 shown is resting on top of LVL. I want to connect another 2X8 to it, but that wont have any support underneath. I was going to use 3" nails every 18" or so.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Hi Rambo, I'll follow to see if others figure out what you are doing but I don't see it.
No support?
Which end?
How long?
Sorry, I'm slow
Bud

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rambo, I'll follow to see if others figure out what you are doing but I don't see it.
No support?
Which end?
How long?
Sorry, I'm slow
Bud
The existing 2x8's for the roof rafters are sitting on the large LVL support beam. When I tack another 1 on each side, the LVL beam wont be underneath. It has to be secured to the 2x8 without need for any underneath support

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
your overhang is already 18" and you want to use 3 nails every 18". I have extended rafters on two occasions, one I reduced the (2x6 in my case) so it would fit over the birds mouth that fits your LVL. That allowed longer material and fastened in more places.

Bud

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your overhang is already 18" and you want to use 3 nails every 18". I have extended rafters on two occasions, one I reduced the (2x6 in my case) so it would fit over the birds mouth that fits your LVL. That allowed longer material and fastened in more places.

Bud
Ok, so the 2X8's are about 1.5" thick. I was planning on using a 3" long nail so it wouldn't go through the second 2x8. Ok?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
How long will the additional 2x8 be? 18" will be from the LVL to existing end then plus how much extension?
Bud

·
Registered
529 Posts
OK so you just want to sister on a 2 x 8 onto the existing two by eights so that you can add a facial your plan it’s OK it doesn’t need to sit around the LVL’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so you just want to sister on a 2 x 8 onto the existing two by eights so that you can add a facial your plan it’s OK it doesn’t need to sit around the LVL’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes... I just want to connect 2X8's together the right (and most secure) way. My plan was for 3" nails every 18" or so.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.