DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am about to start a kitchen renovation and will need to move a 240 volt outlet for my stove by about 6 feet or so. The current receptable is served by a run of SE Style R cable. To move my outlet, is it acceptable to connect the existing SE cable to NM-B in a junction box and finish the run to the new location with NM-B? Or do I need to replace the SE going back to the panel with new NM-B?

Also, before anyone asks - yes, my area allows homeowners to do their own electrical and the work will be inspected by the city, which will give me piece of mind.

Thanks!

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
If that cable has 2 hots, an insulated neutral, and a separate ground, you should be fine to splice and extend it.

If it's a pre-1996 install, you might only have two hots and a combined neutral/ground in the cable, and you can't extend it. In that case, you'd have to run your new NM all the way back to the panel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I haven't looked yet to see how many wires are in there. If there is a combined neutral/ground, is it not kosher to connect both the neutral and ground of the new NMB to that single wire of the SE? I saw that mentioned somewhere but didn't know if it is safe or allowed.

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
Basically, those combined netural/ground circuits were legal up until 1996, but now they're not. You can keep using them if they're there, but you cannot extend or modify them.

At a glance, if your stove outlet has 3 prongs, you probably have the old style stove circuit. If it has 4 prongs, you got a new style circuit.

·
Registered
756 Posts
As long as the JB remains accessible and is large enough, the existing cable has 4 conductors and you make the proper splices (the SE is probably aluminum). The splices are not exactly a normal DIY job.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Busman, I have never spliced aluminum to copper before. I have seen the purple connectors for aluminum to copper, but is it more complicated than that with these larger gauge wires for a 240 outlet? Do you think I'd be better off just running new 6-3 romex back to the panel and getting rid of the SE? It's probably only 12 or 15 feet back to the panel.

·
Super Moderator
17,304 Posts
You can replace the cable for less than the cost of the connectors to splice the aluminum to copper.

The purple Ideal wire nuts will not work with #6 so you would need to use something like a Polaris pre-insulated connector.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moot point. I pulled the outlet and the wire is copper. Also, the cable says Colonial Flex type NM-B 6-3 with ground operator 5. So I guess it's not SE, even though it looked like it at a glance.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Moot point. I pulled the outlet and the wire is copper. Also, the cable says Colonial Flex type NM-B 6-3 with ground operator 5. So I guess it's not SE, even though it looked like it at a glance.
Good to go, just make sure the box remains accessible!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.