DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a switch circuit I'm trying to understand.

I have multiple outdoor flood lights that are hooked to two switches, one by the front door, one by the back. I'm in the process of hooking these up as 'smart' switches and I can't figure out the wiring I've encountered.

Front Switch:
- 3 way switch.
- Black terminal is connected to a black wire and is hot when switch is off.
- Gold terminal is connected to a black wire that is NOT hot when off
- Silver terminal is connected to Red wire that is hot when off.

Back Switch:
- 4 Way switch (all screws gold)
- Top left connected to black wire, hot when off
- Bottom Left connected to red wire, hot when off
- Top right connected to red wire, NOT hot.
- Bottom right connected to black wire, NOT hot.

There are no other switches that control these lights. I'm perplexed as to what else might be on this circuit and how to decipher load, line, travelers, etc.

Can anyone provide me pointers to how to further decipher this, or any further info?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a switch circuit I'm trying to understand.

I have multiple outdoor flood lights that are hooked to two switches, one by the front door, one by the back. I'm in the process of hooking these up as 'smart' switches and I can't figure out the wiring I've encountered.

Front Switch:
- 3 way switch.
- Black terminal is connected to a black wire and is hot when switch is off.
- Gold terminal is connected to a black wire that is NOT hot when off
- Silver terminal is connected to Red wire that is hot when off.

Back Switch:
- 4 Way switch (all screws gold)
- Top left connected to black wire, hot when off
- Bottom Left connected to red wire, hot when off
- Top right connected to red wire, NOT hot.
- Bottom right connected to black wire, NOT hot.

There are no other switches that control these lights. I'm perplexed as to what else might be on this circuit and how to decipher load, line, travelers, etc.

Can anyone provide me pointers to how to further decipher this, or any further info?

thanks!
It sounds like the black wire on the black screw on the 3-way is the hot wire. Only travelers are connected to a 4-way switch. Where is the other 3-way switch? That would have the load wire on it.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
+1
There is another 3 way somewhere.
Since they are outdoor (security ?) there may be a switch in the master bedroom, especially if it is upstairs. I would also check near any other door to the yard. Garage doors, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1
There is another 3 way somewhere.
Since they are outdoor (security ?) there may be a switch in the master bedroom, especially if it is upstairs. I would also check near any other door to the yard. Garage doors, etc.
Holy smokes! Mystery switch found in upstairs bedroom. Its a three way. Mystery solved. Many thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.