DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,390 Posts
Drill a few anchor holes to anchor the patch to the bigger slab.

Patched as is you have 3 different pieces moving in the seasonal expansion / contraction.

Anchoring the patch to one slab, will prevent most of the eventual breakage, and having to re patch again, and again.

ED

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Is Quikrete the right product here?

Quickrete is a brand , not a product.
They make dozens of different mixes. You need to be more specific.

I think you had another thread that you were going to cover the floor. If not, keep in mind a lot of those patch products will be darker than the original concrete.

Concrete bonding agent --- not sure what the "best" procedure is, but when I did a similar task, I mixed with bonding agent instead of water.

My trowel skills are less than professional. But I have a diamond disk and dust shroud for my angle grinder. I layed the patch on a little heavy, let it cure for about 6-8 hours, and then gave it a quick pass with the diamond disk. Came out smooth as glass. I'm not suggesting you do that. Just sayin.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all. hope you don't mind a follow up question.

is paint the right way to go if i'm looking to make the floor smoother and a bit glossy (think smooth enought to vacuum/mop).

per some recommendations in the other subforum, i was told to go with patio and floor paint. that's the approach i'll likely use unless otherwise told not to.

thanks.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,390 Posts
thanks all. hope you don't mind a follow up question.

is paint the right way to go if i'm looking to make the floor smoother and a bit glossy (think smooth enought to vacuum/mop).

per some recommendations in the other subforum, i was told to go with patio and floor paint. that's the approach i'll likely use unless otherwise told not to.

thanks.

There is, or at least was a product made to pour over garage floors to create a smooth sleek surface.

I will have to look it up, to get a name for you, unless someone else chimes in soon with it.

Are you planning to remove that middle chunk patch along with all the broken little pieces, or leave it and use the Quikrete Vinyl patch stuff, to fill in all the low spots and cracks?

The Vinyl patch comes in 1/2 # 2#, %#, and 25# tubs, depending of how much that you need.

All sold in the same aisle, near the Bagged products

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is, or at least was a product made to pour over garage floors to create a smooth sleek surface.

I will have to look it up, to get a name for you, unless someone else chimes in soon with it.

Are you planning to remove that middle chunk patch along with all the broken little pieces, or leave it and use the Quikrete Vinyl patch stuff, to fill in all the low spots and cracks?

The Vinyl patch comes in 1/2 # 2#, %#, and 25# tubs, depending of how much that you need.

All sold in the same aisle, near the Bagged products
likely just remove stuff that's already broken/very loose. then use the patch for everything else.

let me know if you find out the name of the product.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,390 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts