DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During new home construction, had builder add a 30 amp circuit for future RV power. New construction single gang box with GFCI outlet (electrician had to install a receptacle for inspection) and weatherproof cover.

I want to eliminate the GFCI outlet and run conduit from the box to RV pad.
What is the proper way to connect conduit (preferably pvc) to the box? Research only results in surface mount boxes but no in wall boxes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would replace the outlet & cover with something like a Hubbell 5413-0, and then transition to conduit down the wall to wherever it is that you are going. Use a mate terminal adapter to connect PVC to that extension ring.

I assume when you say you had a 30amp circuit installed, you mean your electrician ran #10 to this location? Did he install a regular GFCI receptacle? If so, it is likely on a 15 amp breaker (well it should be), and you will need to replace that with the proper 30 amp breaker for your panel. Again, assuming that #10 copper was run.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So the box is recessed into the wall, and you want to run surface mount (or underground) conduit out of it? Get a cover plate with a knockout already in it, or if you can't find one, buy a blank plate and drill a hole through the center of it.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Attach an exterior box extender to the recessed box and use the knockout for the conduit run to the pad.

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
So the box is recessed into the wall, and you want to run surface mount (or underground) conduit out of it? Get a cover plate with a knockout already in it, or if you can't find one, buy a blank plate and drill a hole through the center of it.
This is NOT the way to do it. You do not want a conduit and fitting to be on the cover that may some day need to be removed.

Ron has the right idea.
This is what you want:

Reactions: jbfan and Oso954
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.