DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Conduit Tie Down Side of House

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  HandyAndyInNC 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a piece of 2in conduit ruinning from the ground up to an LB and into a building. From the LB being bulky and the siding not flat how do i attach the conduit to the siding? Right now it sticks about an inch off the siding.

#5 ·
Measure the distance between the back of the conduit and the face of the surface you will bolt the uni-strut to. Go to the Electrical Supply house, not a box store. They are useless for just about everything. Ask for a short piece of either shallow or deep uni-strut and a 2 inch uni-strut conduit clamp. You can always use nuts behind to make the strut stand off the surface if the deep is too deep to fit. I would probably use some stanchions any way to make sure that no water can be trapped on the top side of the strut. If this is Rigid conduit that you are using, you will have to get 2.5 inch clamp. They will get you exactly what you need and tell you have to install it. Although it is pretty self explanatory when you see it.

This is a sample of unistrut and conduit with a conduit clamp for uni-strut.

#10 ·
Schedule 40 pvc is not accept in areas subject to physical damage. Some local authorities may interpret that less strictly, but in my city the vertical conduit until it reaches the elbow underground up to 6' above ground is subject to physical damage. In this area schedule 80 pvc or rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit is required.

Where i am the big box stores have only schedule 40 pvc conduit on hand. I have to go to an electric supply to vet schedule 80.

Big box does carry rmc but it gets much more expensive.

#11 ·
Yes I agree, I would have used schedule 80 or even schedule 160 depending. Another thing with that long of a length out of the ground. I would have installed an expansion sleeve where it comes out of the ground. Right at the 90 coming out of the ground, switch to rigid conduit. I am not a fan of PVC for anything electrical. Especially when it faces the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.