DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I noticed that my AC would only kick on for 5 minutes and then shut off. At first it would only kick on normally at night. I figured it was an issue with the thermostat so I replaced that. While replacing the thermostat, the fuse on the board of the air handler blew. Replaced that and everything kicked on as it should for about 5 minutes, but then back to the same issue. There is a buzzing sound emmiting from the condenser that did not stop when I threw the cutoff. Any ideas? It is going to be around 110 here in a couple of days so desperately trying to figure this out! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If you here the buzzing and the unit isn't running the thermostat is ok. Thats the contactor making the noise. Couple of options would be a power issue, bad contactor or maybe a bad capacitor. When its buzzing check both sides of the contactor for 240 volts with a meter. Check capacitor value, is the top of the capacitor distorted or flat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! So, I am hearing this buzzing even when I threw the breaker at the unit.... That seems odd to me. There is also a box from my power company feeding into the unit. It is sealed with their pin....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.