DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the wire for my own house. I have a 30-space 60-circuit breaker box and currently have 32 circuits coming from the house. I'd like to condense 2 of the circuits to fit everything into the box. I can't attach an image of the circuits so I'll just type them out. My thought is to put the fridge on one the kitchen outlets and the dishwasher on the other, but any suggestions are appreciated.

HVAC Heating Coul - 2 Pole
HVAC Fan - 2 Pole
HVAC Condenser - 2 Pole
Water Heater - 4 Pole
Stove - 2 Pole
Dryer - 2 Pole
Septic Tank
Laundry Room
Bed 1
Washer
Living Room Outlets
Living Room Lights
Kitchen Outlets 1
Kitchen Outlets 2
Dishwasher
Bath 1 Lights
Bath 1 Outlets
Kitchen Lights
Fridge
Microwave
Master Bed
Master Bath Lights
Master Bath Outlets
Bathtub

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,833 Posts
DW on kitchen counter receptacles is a violation.

You have a 30/60 panel. Use tandem breakers, 2 circuits in 1 space.

What is your water heater that uses a 4 pole breaker?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: jbrah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water heater is a rheem 18 Kw tankless. I’ve considered a new panel but I’m really wanting to avoid the cost.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think you can combine some of the light circuits together. If there is no outlet on a circuit, you can go to 1440W (using rated W on fixtures, not the bulb you used) so something like 30x 50W fixtures.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You have not seen high costs until you try to cram all that into a small panel. And then later have things not working correctly while other devices on that same breaker are pulling too much current. You need to size the panel accordingly.

I have (4) 80 space panels and I feel that is not enough. I have never liked the double breakers on a single pole slot. Just feel there is something wrong with that.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,833 Posts
I think you can combine some of the light circuits together. If there is no outlet on a circuit, you can go to 1440W (using rated W on fixtures, not the bulb you used) so something like 30x 50W fixtures.
Unless the poster is in Canada, light and receptacles can share a a circuit.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Combine some of the lighting circuits. No need for a circuit for 1 or 2 lights.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Damn! That's a lot of spaces. Do you have 400 amp service?
Some say they need 200 amps just for their kitchen and 100 amp panels for each floor.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have 800 amp service. Very close Jim. We have 400 amp service for the workshop out back. I do not like sub-panels

·
Registered
183 Posts
You have a 30/60 panel. Use tandem breakers, 2 circuits in 1 space.
This is the simplest solution. I guess a junction box close to the panel that combines a couple of circuits wouldn't violate code. But just use a tandem breaker and call it a day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts