DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this topic has been covered in this forum and I have read through all the related threads I could find. However the motor I purchased to replace my faulty one has 4 wires which are Black/Red/Orange/Blue

My old one had three wires: Black/Red/Light Brown.

All of the motors I have read about seem to have brown, brown w/ white stripe, black, red, yellow.

I am trying to figure out what these wires are used for so I can get my A/C working again.

Photo of the NEW motor:

I believe that it is as follows

red = (+)
black = (-)
orange/blue = capacitor.

Is this right?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The label shows the schematic. What is the model?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The schematic on the unit is for a three wire and I have a new capacitor. The existing capacitor is a dual setup and is rated much higher 45 vs 5 mfd.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm talking about the label on the motor

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You need to cap off the red wire

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "cap off".
You don't need the red wire. The black wire goes to one side of the contactor.

You need a jumper to connect the capacitor to another side of the contactor.

Blue and Orange goes to capacitor

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Do I connect power to the capacitor terminal with the orange wire?

Orange and blue you connect to the capacitor. You need another wire to connect the capacitor to the contactor

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it was working for a bit. The fan was running then it stopped. It feels like it is way too hot and the fan has overheated.

The compressor was still running after the fan.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Maybe the value of the dual capacitor ( Small Value ) It's not correct for the new motor.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Kewl!!!!!!!
Now all you need to do is make sure that The hourse power.voltage,CFM (this is important),rotation,Service factor,frame size and shaft length are exactly the same as the original motor.Then of course I assume you have marked the top of the fan blade so you get that on facing the right way and you marked the position of the fan blade in the schroud correctly so that the poper amount of cfm gets pulled through the coil.
Doing it is one thing,,,,,,doing it right is wehat saves you troubles and money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will confess that I had it hooked up to the larger (dual capacitor). I probably damaged the motor doing this. I think the heat and humidity is making me desperate. I would normally be much more careful.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sometimes the motor has protection. Install the wires in the right position and test. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts