DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My house is 9 years old. I noticed my AC was dripping out of the overflow outside of the house. My primary drain was clogged - which is a condensation pump.

Fortunately it was the line going to the pump, so everything drained into the pan, then outside. But if you look at the installation (picture), you'll see that if the pump fails it will just overflow into the attic. What's the best way to fix this?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Doesn't look like it will be easy remedy. Luckily the float overflow protector switch is wired on the pump. Maybe someone else here can give some pointers.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hello,

My house is 9 years old. I noticed my AC was dripping out of the overflow outside of the house. My primary drain was clogged - which is a condensation pump.

Fortunately it was the line going to the pump, so everything drained into the pan, then outside. But if you look at the installation (picture), you'll see that if the pump fails it will just overflow into the attic. What's the best way to fix this?
Put a pan/bucket/chafing dish/whatever under the pump and plumb that into your overflow drain.

It may look ghetto, but it probably will work.

Where does the condensate pump drain?

Curious, what kind of cement is that used on the fittings? I've never seen blue...only purple.

·
Tired & Dirty
84 Posts
It looks like the drain has been cut and capped, then a pump installed? Take the cap off the line and try to blow thru it to see if it is clogged,maybe unclog with compressed air then rehook to trap, seams weird they would repair a drain with a pump that way unless the pipe froze and split down the way or something. if pump has to be used do like Handyman88 said and put safety pan under pump and plumb into overflow drain. I like to put a short length of hose in the drain line to be able to take it apart and blow the crud out at the end of AC season. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
how long has the pump been in?looks like they had a problem right off getting the unit pan to drain,and it wasn't the capped line that trap looks almost non exsistant:eek: a 3/4" lenght of pvc and 6 90 elbows (build your own trap)will fix the problem with a straight drain out of the old line and remove the pump set up.elbow right out of the air handler run it down(add T)to the insulation and trap there...then reconnect to the drain out line as originally piped.is that the return duct or supply duct in the pix?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts