DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 6 year old unit but the suction and high lines are about 20 years old and so is the insulation on them. The air conditioner is working very well except for condensation dripping from the suction line. Is it just a failure of the insulation or.......? The coils are clean. I was told the lines are leaking and had to be replaced but if this was true I don't think the unit would working as well as it is. Any thoughts.
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
When the unit is running, the suction line is below the dew point and therefore will sweat. I'd replace that insulation though, it's easy and cheap, you can get it at Lowes.

·
Administrator
40,270 Posts
Probably just needs reinsulated.

Its fairly common for older insulation to deteriorate, and cause condensation to form from normal operation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yep

BEENTHERE got it.

When you where told the line set was leeking did the tech add freon or not?

Insulation is what you need.:thumbup:

Goodluck

·
Registered
588 Posts
if youre only talking about maybe the last foot of copper before the conderser i wouldnt "sweat" it no big deal if its only dripping on the ground

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I have a 6 year old unit but the suction and high lines are about 20 years old and so is the insulation on them. The air conditioner is working very well except for condensation dripping from the suction line. Is it just a failure of the insulation or.......? The coils are clean. I was told the lines are leaking and had to be replaced but if this was true I don't think the unit would working as well as it is. Any thoughts.
Thanks
yep .....believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see...:laughing::laughing:

·
If it's free...It's me
66 Posts
Good one dac122 a truck and some tools and they know it all.
Yep...Gas and Go...The contact number is only in service until the refrigerant tank runs out...it is amazing that they can get 50# of refrigerant out of a 30# tank...and without even using a scale.

It pays to know...even if you don't DIY. (...and it costs not to know.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts