DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
DIYer
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 1/4 inch of slime in the bottom of my condensate pan. My wife doesn't want me to clean it myself because she's afraid I'll damage the evaporator. I can't tell if the slime clogged the drip line or the clogged drip line let the slime form, but I'd like to get rid of it.

I had a guy out about a year ago who brushed out the bottom (intake side) of the evaporator, the top wasn't so cruddy back then. I watched how he pulled the entire evaporator out. The freon lines do kind of bend when you pull the evaporator out, but not by much.

What do you all think? Are there any special risks or caveats for cleaning algae off an evaporator? What should I use to do it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't like the sound of bending lines, as that might come back to haunt you as the copper weakens.

Go buy a box of Calgon dishwasher powder, mix it well with water in a sprayer (did I mention mix well) and carefully spray down your coil. Either rinse it yourself or run the A/C so the condensate will rinse it off. Got that tip from a neighbor who works for one of the big HVAC companies. He says they have more boxes of Calgon than you can believe. Nu Calgon also sells a product in a spray can that works well.

Any buildup/sludge in your drain line or pan can be sucked out with a shop vac hooked to the condensate line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts