DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my basement steps. Seems the previous HO made some repairs using mortar for the verticals.

And someone made some repairs with what looks like a vinyl patching compound for concrete.

Is it worth my while to drill some weep holes near the bottom of the wall to help relieve any water pressure?

And any reason not to use poly sealant at the change of planes?

Attachments

· Registered
12,237 Posts
Its in good shape for 100 years. You are getting your money's worth. Too bad somebody put that pink and grey stuff (paint ?) on it.

Are you in an area that freezes in winter ? I am no expert, but the concrete breaking off the step looks like freeze damage. Water soaks into the concrete, freezes, expand, breaks off. Freezing soil will push on the wall when it freezes and expands. Mother nature always wins.

Patch the steps then call it a day.

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It freezes here in the winter, but generally the climate is pretty mild. Puget Sound area.

Regarding freeze damage, maybe that's why they repaired with mortar? Easier to repair and the mortar would blow out before the concrete.

The pink paint will be removed. A good portion of the grey paint came off when I pressure washed the area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.