DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pour a concrete walkway along the side of my house to eliminate unsightly weeds. I can see having a retainer board along the outside and blocking pieces of plywood at 3 foot intervals so that I can manage my pour but how do I deal with the side next to the house? I was thinking I need to be able to draw a board across the top of the concrete to level things or to get a slight slope for run off but with no board next to the wall what do I do? Maybe I have it all wrong.

I need to manage the pour because my back is bad if I can por this in 3 or 4 sections I can do it over say 2 weekends. I plan to rent a mixer.
A photo would be real helpful

Attachments

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I want to pour a concrete walkway along the side of my house to eliminate unsightly weeds. I can see having a retainer board along the outside and blocking pieces of plywood at 3 foot intervals so that I can manage my pour but how do I deal with the side next to the house? I was thinking I need to be able to draw a board across the top of the concrete to level things or to get a slight slope for run off but with no board next to the wall what do I do? Maybe I have it all wrong.

I need to manage the pour because my back is bad if I can por this in 3 or 4 sections I can do it over say 2 weekends. I plan to rent a mixer.
A photo would be real helpful
If your talking about that narrow strip between the bricks and i assume your house,you would use expansion joint against the house side,but if you have a bad back why in the world would you want to use a concrete mixer,that sure wont do your back any good,by the way you need to set the expansion joint about a quarter inch higher than the oppisite form board for pitch.

A ouart of Roundup concentrate is only $20.00 and will keep those weeds at bay forever,and your back will thank you.

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
When you're next to an existing wall, a snap line is used, you trowel off a bit next to it with a mag, then screed off of that. At least, I think that's what you're asking.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
By all means, use an expansion strip. And I would give it even more than a quarter inch run-off, considering the rains and wind we get down here.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
It takes a few years working with the stuff to begin to understand what concrete does, and why... let alone have it become second-nature to you to simply do it right, from start to finish.

It's easy to a pro, but can be very frustrating to you. This frustration will invariably mean a screwed-up job on your part. I've never seen anyone do concrete even close to right the first few times. Hire it done, and watch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts