DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top concrete step at the rear of my house has broken. After removing the broken piece and all loose stones and debris I have an area of a little over 2 inches deep and 12 inches wide. I know I should replace the steps but for right now want to do a repair. Should I use concrete or one of the several cement repair products (like Quikrete quick setting cement)? Looking for ideas and suggestions. Thanks all!!

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Hard to see what your seeing without a picture.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
you could also use yellow caution tape til joe gets up :laughing:

quik set will be fine for a temp repair,,, be certain repr area is clean & properly prepp'd or repr won't last but could be dangerous to foot traffic

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,274 Posts
That appears to have been patched before.

Quikrete makes a Vinyl concrete repair in many different sized buckets.

Be warned that it is a temporary fix, because moisture can get into the seam between the old and the new, and will freeze and pop it off no matter how many screws / reinforcements you use.

ED

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I know whatever I do will be temporary. Just want to make it safer until we can get the steps replaced.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have had repairs of that nature last 10 + years. I used a concrete add mix adhesive to completely moisten the area then put in regular concrete mix just below the finish surface. Then dress it off with sand mix. I did one at the neighbors house about 20 years ago as a temporary measure. It is still intact.

Reactions: stadry
1 - 7 of 7 Posts