DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on how I can make my concrete stairs that are in the middle of our retaining wall safer. As the stand now the rise of the stairs are super high and the runs are short, resulting in a very steep stair. I will get measurements later but here is a picture. I have toyed with the idea of installing wood stair stringers to either side of the wall but I'm not sure how I would secure them (some sort of concrete anchor?). Any ideas appreciated! The little nook is about 6 ft wide and 68" deep
Property Building Stairs Tree Road surface
Tree Road surface Cloud Asphalt Land lot

·
Registered
2 Posts
9.5" rise is higher than normal for sure. The half step on top is a hazard, someone will end up tripping/falling.

I would add a short wooden landing at the very top and then build wood stairs in front of the concrete stairs, wouldn't have to remove any concrete that way. Make new stairs with 10 steps total, each will have a rise of nearly 7-1/2" (7.45" to be exact). Either way the bottom of the wood steps will stick out past the concrete walls a bit, but the only way around that is to remove concrete.

If you build the stairs as one big assembly (like what goes in a house), you could get away with a few concrete anchors to secure the top and bottom to the concrete. Wedge anchors are your best bet for this.

Edit: you may have to move the handrail also.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Either way the bottom of the wood steps will stick out past the concrete walls a bit, but the only way around that is to remove concrete.
With 11 inch runs, would stick out 42".

Not sure if it would be one long stringer --- the top two steps would leave very little material at the root of the steps. But should be OK if the stringer is sitting on the old step as support. And would also need a couple of stringers towards the center,---- don't think two stringers 6 feet apart is going to do it.

I am no expert on stairway code, but the existing stairway is pretty far from code compliant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I assume this stairway has been here since the house was built (70s) maybe it was code compliant back then…I’m absolutely fine with the new steps coming out further than the original ones just want them safe. We have small kiddos and neighborhood kids that come play and I’m a nervous wreck around these stairs

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just looking at the ascetics of all the square sharp angles in the court yard, Perhaps to break up the longer stringer make the last step a semicircle platform double the width of the current steps.

Edit... Something like this for the final steps exiting the concrete side walls, only made of wood.
semi circle front steps | ... Property As Above We Created ...

·
retired framer
53,525 Posts
Yea I assume this stairway has been here since the house was built (70s) maybe it was code compliant back then…I’m absolutely fine with the new steps coming out further than the original ones just want them safe. We have small kiddos and neighborhood kids that come play and I’m a nervous wreck around these stairs
Anything can built, just with more planning.
We need more accurate measurements.
Would an extra 20" sticking out work?
Would an extra 30 inches work?
Can you find a real straight 2x4 or something about 8 ft long.
Your new stairs would be measured from where I have arrow #1
If you can check with a level from Arrow #1 to arrow # 2 and measure the height and again 30" out?
Do that on both right and left side.
Arrow #4 is the distance between 1 and 2?
Slope Rectangle Parallel Font Naval architecture

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am willing to go out up to about 5 feet past the wall face. The other option I thought of was building a new set of stairs to the very left of the wall and then building some sort of platform at the top of the stairs? Not sure if that's possible but maybe if I secured 2x10s to either side of the wall and run footers across? I am not dead set having the stairs in the middle but would like a way to cover them up if I move them. Here is one vision I had. Obviously not to scale and I would need some sort of solid platform since we do plan to add a slide somewhere on the retaining wall.
Property Tree Land lot Grass Sky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anything can built, just with more planning.
We need more accurate measurements.
Would an extra 20" sticking out work?
Would an extra 30 inches work?
Can you find a real straight 2x4 or something about 8 ft long.
Your new stairs would be measured from where I have arrow #1
If you can check with a level from Arrow #1 to arrow # 2 and measure the height and again 30" out?
Do that on both right and left side.
Arrow #4 is the distance between 1 and 2?
View attachment 668689
I measure the number 4 distance and it was 59.5” out and 59.5inches from the ground

1 - 16 of 16 Posts