DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not my house, and it is not my handy work so you won't offend me by stating anything insulting (not rude, but honest).

I don't know the history of this concrete. I don't know if it has been resurfaced/patched before and this is that job failing or if this is the original concrete failing.

I've been asked to help with a rental house that is vacant and has a concrete issue that needs to be addressed prior to renting again. Please look at the pictures and let me know what the problem is (curling?) and whether it can be repaired (if so, how) or if it needs to be ripped out and redone. Also, if they ignore your advice to redo it, what are the implications short/long term?

Thanks

---

---

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well the dark gray area that is coming up is a giant patch job that was done a few years ago is now coming loose it should all come off then power washed there are many different toppings to use it would be much cheaper than digging all the concrete out . This could be a DIY for somebody that knows how to use a shovel to mix the cement and a trowel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the dark gray area that is coming up is a giant patch job ... it should all come off
The chunks that are separating are obvious on getting them up. But what about areas where there is no separation? Do I need to get the top surface completely off before resurfacing?

there are many different toppings to use it would be much cheaper than digging all the concrete out.
Are there general name(s) for the product(s) that I would use to resurface it? I'm sure I could figure it out, but just so I'm headed in the right direction with the right products.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,365 Posts
Most of that "scab" will come off easily, because the underneath is ROTTEN CONCRETE, and is already decayed and soft.

You can take a screwdriver , press it to the concrete, twist it, and drill through it.

It really needs replaced entirely.

Quikrete makes a Vinyl concrete patch, in bags.

Proper prep of the surface is required, read the instructions thoroughly.

A pry bar will remove most of the old patch, then a few whacks with a 4 # hammer should knock the remainder off.

If it were my rental, I would spend the money for entire replacement, because if any tenant gets hurt by tripping on that, and you are liable for their hospitalization.

And one little crack might cause them to fall.

ED

1 - 7 of 7 Posts