DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We're in the process of ripping out a narrow sidewalk that goes around the back 3 sides of the house. The reason we're ripping it out is because it's actually sloping towards the house (this is how it was when we bought it 1.5 years ago) and so we want to correct the slope & update the look of it.

We are leaning towards a modern concrete paver design just like the one in my attached picture (which I'd saved from a modern architecture design website quite a while back). The plan would be to do 3'x3' concrete slabs all the way around the house with rocks surrounding the pavers, followed by steel edging, then our grass.

I understand it's best to keep water away from the foundation so my question is, will I be good simply sloping my concrete pavers away from the house? Or would there be any other steps I need to take? Would I have to put some sort of flashing against the foundation that slopes away from the house (along the whole edge of the house, under the dirt)? I do have eaves/overhang around the whole house and there's really not much water that gets next to the house in the first place...even with a heavy rain (which isn't often here in Escondido, CA).

Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks for any you can give me!

-seth

Attachments

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Those are not pavers. They are just stepping stones.

The 3x3 stepping stones will do little to affect the amount of water around your foundation. The water will just run off the 3x3s, into the rock and then soak back into the soil and collect around the foundation.

The easiest (and probably the cheapest way would be to pour a 4" thick sidewalk along the building that has an appropriate slope to direct the water away from the structure. The width depends on the amount of protect to provide for your foundation, but if the bearing portion of the is deeper (concrete or masonry), it might have to be pretty wide.

It is always interesting to visit the architectural models (if you can find where they are) and see how survive in the real world.

The example photo is certainly better than your partial description of what you have provided. The only reason it slightly better is that the stepping stones appear to be very slightly sloped and deflect the water about a foot further away before soaking in and around the foundation than nothing.

A better description of your location and a photo of the real situation than just guesses would bet some help. When I lived near your area, I saw some substantial rains and subsequent rain on following days in the wet season.

Dick - And I will not change my name because of a rude comment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts