DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all.
I recently posted a question about window wells, I have sense completed that project and now I'm up against something I have no clue about.
I need to pour a 4-5 inch concrete bottom and slope the crete to a 4 inch PVC drain pipe in the center of the well.
Can someone throw out a few pointers on how I might go about achieving this task.... See photo's

Thanks gent's (and ladies)

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If you can't free float the slope, you can cut sloped screed boards to go around the pipes perimiter, sort of like making a mud base for a shower. Fill in the concrete between the boards and screed it even with the tops of the boards. Once all the sections have been filled in and screeded, remove the boards and fill in the gaps, troweling the surface.
Ron

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
I don't do concrete, but I think you could use a laser. Set it on top of the pipe, shoot a reference line inside the well, mark down off of that.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,890 Posts
First, use any sort of level to get level marks around the entire perimeter.

Then, cut the pvc pipe off about 3/4" lower than those marks. Install the drain cover and tape it up to keep it clean.

Purchase & install a piece of 1/2" by 4" expansion felt or the like and install it against the foundation of the home.

You may want to put a strip of tape ABOVE the line on the window well to keep that clean as well.

Now mix & pour the concrete into the well, using the drain to pivot a hand float or even a short board off of. Pour to the line on the perimeter. Once you get it close, let it sit for a while and go back & re-shape it in case the concrete rolled down slightly to the drain. Continue until it's ready for a broom/brush finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts