DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there,

I just purchased a duplex here in northeast Florida. It is a 1920s home, concrete block, but the floors are all wood. It's off-grade with a crawl space. In houses of this era in this part of Florida, there used to be oil furnaces. There is a slab of concrete on the floor that actually spans the 2 units under a shared wall (it's in a closet on both sides though extends beyond the closet on one side). It's cement with bits of hideous-colored tile in it.

I would like to remove this slab (hire someone to do it), but I want to understand what needs to be done before I do. I am also concerned that this concrete may contain asbestos but I don't know how to figure that out. Since it is a relatively smallish slab (maybe 6 feet by 4 feet), I'm hoping someone could get it out in once piece. But it is running under the shared wall so I don't know.

I want to make sure that it's handled properly... and if it's asbestos, I don't want someone coming in with the saws all and kicking all of that in the air. I have a family member with Stage 4 mesothelioma right now so it's making me nervous to even have it in the house, honestly.

Ultimately, I'm pulling up a lot of water-damaged wood around the slab in a hallway, then I want to lay down backer board and tile this "utility hallway" on into the bathroom. Because the cement is sticking out of the closet, I don't have any way of leveling it with the rest of the floor without making the floor in this hallway higher than the rest of the house, which I don't want to do.

I'm attaching a picture of the slab from my part of the duplex (which does not have the water-damaged wood) so you can get an idea.

Sorry if the vernacular is a bit n00b, but I am new at this, doing things on my own, and just trying to figure out a good course of action. The first contractor I dealt with did some really shoddy work that I'm having to get redone and I'd like to spare myself some pain by learning what I can and even doing some of the renovations myself when I can.

Thanks very much!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts