DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope this is the right section of the forum!:)
I've got a concrete pad in front of my front door and it sure is UGLY:censored:
any ideas as to how to make it look better? maybe some sort of epoxy or a skim coat of cement? I've tried indoor/outdoor carpet (which is on there now...UGLY!) and will be blasting that stuff away with a power-washer.(bought it at HD...their carpet isn't too good ,at least their I/O...bought some high quality indoor/out about 15 years ago and it's still going strong in back of the house)

tnx,

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
there're several products avail to you but NOT at any apron store EVEN IF THE BAG SAYS RESURFACING :no: elitecrete & concrete network are 2 sources.

we don't use epoxies for external use,,, you'll also need an angle grinder & diamond turbo cup wheel :yes:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welll,tile is out! my wife got spooked by the tiles popping out because water seeped in and froze.:eek:
going to have to be either the entire slab replaced or re-surfacing.

tnx,

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
of course i do,,, those post'd pics were of jobs that were worse than yours,,, all have been down over 5yrs in freeze-thaw climes,,, properly installed, there's no chance of wtr infiltration as the o'lay mtl bonds molucularly to the properly prepp'd original conc surface,,, here's another.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, I got an estimate for "capping" the slab with 2.5 in. of concrete and it's a whole lot more desirable than getting the slab replaced. (less costly) the guy that gave me the estimate says the existing slab is in good shape so pulling it out would be "overkill". my wife isn't all that interested in resurfacing with some sort of design since all the other houses around have a plain concrete slab in front of the front door. more estimates on the way!

tnx,

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
There is a guy on a couple of the Holmes on Homes episodes that does this kind of work. It turns out looking beautiful.

What kind of company do you call to find out about having cement steps finished like that?

There is a company in Canada that sells products in the U.S. for this kind of work. I called them and they sent me a DVD giving exact directions on how to use their coatings. I haven't watched it yet. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.daichcoatings.com/

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, Scuba,that's nice,I mean REAL nice. my wife agrees too!:thumbsup:
the only question is, can we get it done at a reasonable cost. I don't think the guy who came today could do it. probably end up with a plain slab.

tnx,

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
2 1/2" cap's really much more'n necessary but could be accomplished by either a bond'd OR unbond'd overlay ( cap ),,, none of the pics i post'd were thicker than 1/8",,, even installing a thin-stamp'd overlay's only 3/8" max,,, to my knowledge, daich is a reseller, not a manufacturer,,, google ' elitecrete ' for the largest manufactureing & dedicated distribution network - even in canada.

if you saw the diy tv segment on the back porch/patio o'lay, it was rod johnson & elitecrete along w/the show's 2 reg hosts.

if

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 1/2" cap's really much more'n necessary but could be accomplished by either a bond'd OR unbond'd overlay ( cap ),,, none of the pics i post'd were thicker than 1/8",,, even installing a thin-stamp'd overlay's only 3/8" max,,, to my knowledge, daich is a reseller, not a manufacturer,,, google ' elitecrete ' for the largest manufactureing & dedicated distribution network - even in canada.

if you saw the diy tv segment on the back porch/patio o'lay, it was rod johnson & elitecrete along w/the show's 2 reg hosts.

if
hmmmm...the question NOW is: exactly WHAT material is being used for the overlay? certainly not plain old concrete (right?) I mean, most aggregate is more tham 1/8 in. in dia, isn't it?

tnx,

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
portland cement concrete = portland cement, fine aggregate ( usually sands ), large aggregate ( usually crush'd stone ), & water,,, polymer modified concrete = white cement, fine aggregate ( in our case, 7 diff shapes & sizes of silicone carbide ) hybrid co-polymers, & water,,, your ' plain old concrete ' is usually 2,500psi - 4,000psi while ours is 5,600psi.

then there's epoxy concrete, asphalt cement concrete, etc :laughing: the choices do boggle us sometimes :(

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, the guy who just came over to give me an estimate, Colorado Flatwork, says the slab has to be removed, a new one poured and then it can be "stamped" with a "tile like" design. this is because they won't do overlays, claims they can't guarantee the bond.

tnx,

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
maybe they can't/won't so call someone else who specializes in bonded overlays,,, they'll guarantee their work,,, evidently this guy hasn't used better materials,,, if our clients maintain the sealer every 2 yrs, we guarantee it for 10yrs :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Boy, that sure is overkill....Remove a slab in order to stamp it? All that needs doing is first understand the nature of the surface and then affect that, so that the overlay bonds. Not complicated...certainly no different than dealing with the new slab - but far less costly.

:wink:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts