DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning gents, I wanted to ask the pros if this would be ok! I am building a rather large concrete firepit in my backyard in Atlanta, GA. 60"x42"x17" LxWxH. Picture has been added. Concrete itself is about 6-8" wide depending on the side you are looking at. From concrete looking in there will be 2" of Sand to act as a thermal barrier, after the sand, there is a 3/8" steel barrier that also goes down 15" into the ground. Inside the pit, there is about 15" of gravel and lava rock. I read what i could about concrete and firepits and moisture. Ive been curing the firepit as best as i can and i will not be starting a fire for at least 30 days. Disclamer, the family did start a few fires this past winter when it was just steel. Here are my questions:

1. Should I top off the exposed 3" of cement on the inside above the steel and cement with a refractory cement like Rutland, or Sakcrete High Heat Mortar, or some other product?

2. I would like to stucco the cement firepit, ( outside part of it of course ) is there a high heat stucco, or can i just use a high heat mortar mix and add color if i wanted too?

thank you for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Atlanta GA, it gets cold here for a few months but nothing under 20 degrees frost line no clue, I just know they definitely don’t bury my pipes very far down

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
where were you this past winter, st thomas ? we had 1 - 2" frost,,, residential wtr supply lines are 15" deep in e cobb,,, why the steel ? go to apron store, buy cement-all, then stop as sher-wms for some latex pigment in whatever color you want,,, mix & apply w/dash brush in texture you like
tnx for supply your 'where' - most often we have no f'n idea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The steel is too take much of the heat away from the cement, the sand in between the steel and the cement takes even more direct heat from cement. Thanks for the color idea

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
heat rises,,, im-n-s-h-fo, 2" of foam would better protect concrete from hi heat damage,,, btw, cement is an ingredient of concrete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts