DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I need to put a privacy fence in my backyard. To start figuring out the size and position I bought an 8' 4x4 post (cut it in 2) and two concrete post holders that sit above ground.

The posts just wobble. I understand that a 4x4 post is not 4x4 but why is the post holder post opening close to 4x4.

Undoubtedly this is an easy one.

thanks, Bj

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a pier block.

If that is what it is, it's designed to take a 4x4 deck support post or something similar that only has a downward load on the block. It's not designed for a fence post.

The attachment is designed to keep a post from moving around or slipping off the block, not to hold a fence post in the vertical position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought them at Lowes realy early one morning so I may have picked up the wrong ones. I'll check them again Monday AM. Just to be sure I may walk one over to a post and try it out.

I appreciate the help.

Bj

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
I don't know of any block type product that I would trust to hold a fence up, especially one without corners or other bracing/support.

Even a 4ft block supported fence would wobble every time someone touches it. A good wind will probably knock it over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is small privacy wall to finally block the view of 2 utility boxes in the backyard from our patio.

This is temporary just for a few years until our shrubs mature.

It will be about 3' tall and 4' wide using lattice to actually block the view. Some ivy will fill the lattice in nicely.

I'd rather not however I may end up having to use post spikes. I had planned on this wall butted the utility boxes however if I use spikes will mean the wall comes out quite a ways from the boxes as I cannot pound them in near the boxes.

thanks, Bj

·
Usually Confused
9,606 Posts
You could also use -t-bars or any variety of driven steel fence posts and wire or screw the lattice to them, especially if it going to be temporary. When you are thinking of pounding anything into the ground near those utility boxes consider all the wires that feed into them. You might want to do a locate. Does the utility have easement which might dictate/restrict what you can do near them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.