DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

concrete fence post in cold

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ron45 
#1 ·
hello. been a while since i have been here.

i am going to be putting up a 6' wood fence, 4" posts.

seeing as how it is just out of winter, and not a bad winter. i am wondering about the concrete, bags, in this cold'ish ground. i am sure its not frozen, but idk just how cold it is, or what the minimum temp should be.

thanx

#4 ·
I agree that if soil is above zero, you should be good. If soil is below zero, you won't be able to dig the hole. I know topsoil is thawed around here, and would expect it to be thawed all the way down, but I don't really know that for sure.

Last time I put up a fence, I called an outfit to put in the posts. All they did was fence posts and deck footings. They charged $xx per post. Posts were all dead nut plumb and dead nuts in-line.

#2 ·
We have sidewalks i poured when the hi temp. for the day was around 45 with the lo at 35 and they've been good for lots of years. Just get the slump so it'll pour, vibrate the post a little and they'll be fine.
I'm thinking your state has soil temperatures available on the net, especially for gardening folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.