DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thanks to the help of the folks on the forums, I have decided on a sealer and plan to seal my driveway soon. Thanks for all the help.

Now I have a question about the expansion joints. I felt this probably
warranted a new thread.

So... I was looking at my driveway this morning and it suddenly dawned on me that the expansion joints have not been filled. After watching some youtube videos and reading some help guides, I have a pretty good idea of how I want to fill them. I'm going to use a flexible caulk sealant and backer rod, then cover it with some sand. Before I start, however, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer.

Should the joints be filled before or after the driveway is sealed?

Has anyone used sand to cover the sealer? (Video link below) It so, how does it hold up and look?

Driveway is about a year old. Is that too soon to fill the joints?

Any other advice is much appreciated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDygIVxo7bw

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
we seal hgwy/airport/bdge jnts to keep out incompressibles that primarily, when the slabs expand in reaction to rising temps, will cause the jnt edges to spall,,, my d/w's 8yrs old & i never sealed mine,,, then again, we sawcut contraction jnts to control cracking

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I watch more and more videos I've yet to see anyone's joints as small as mine. Every joint in my driveway is maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide. Some of the videos show small joints like mine, but they are always filling the larger ones. Does anyone know of these even need to be filled?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
we sawed our contraction/control jnts using a walk-behind 35hp saw w/.125" (1/8") blade,,, common for initial cuts,,, we made no 2nd backer rod/jnt seal 2nd (reservoir) cut,,, 9yrs later they're approx 1/4" wide due to conc shrinkage,,, no jnt sealing & minimal spalling

1 - 4 of 4 Posts