DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

After going through the new construction process for over a year, I know when things don't look right. :vs_worry:

I recently moved into my new home and we are currently having our driveway poured. Last week when our pads were poured, they dried two different colors. In the picture, the right side was poured before the left (maybe by an hour or so) and it was a very hot day. They were poured early morning. Before our concrete contractor left after everything was done, they sprayed a sealant on both sides, the right side being more dry than the left (this is what i think caused the discoloration on the left pad, that was not as dry as the right). They said it will go away eventually, and that it was because they poured them at two different times of the day.

I don't know what to think, but would just like to know what the discoloration is, why its there, and when it will go away. After building for over a year, we don't want the driveway to be the sore spot of our house :001_unsure:.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what they look like now. This was taken today. The pads were poured last week.

When I mentioned it took over a year to build, I was just trying to stress that I haven't had any issues with the house, and don't want any issues with our freshly poured driveway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could be a problem with the sealer if it was sealed when wet because the water has a harder time evaporating. Give it another week and see if it lightens, concrete will lighten alot in the next month........unfortunately the concrete is too new and this is one of those things that only time will tell. Check back in and let us know with some updated pictures a bit further down the road.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
could also be a problem with:
time of day;
cement in silo may be from a different supplier;
stopped for lunch;
new finisher that day;
2nd truck late;
hot load;
sun on or off;
wind on or off;
water slightly off;
water added at site;
sealer applied different times;
ad infinitum

there are so many variables in conc that its even impossible to get 1 successive loads to have the same appearance

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Probably a cure and seal, 309 spec. It should cure out to match, but the darker areas are generally how it looks when finish finishing on a hot day where water is sprinkled on to the (rapidly drying) surface, and it brings up a little more cream.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is what they look like now. This was taken today. The pads were poured last week.

When I mentioned it took over a year to build, I was just trying to stress that I haven't had any issues with the house, and don't want any issues with our freshly poured driveway.
Hi!

After going through the new construction process for over a year, I know when things don't look right. :vs_worry:

I recently moved into my new home and we are currently having our driveway poured. Last week when our pads were poured, they dried two different colors. In the picture, the right side was poured before the left (maybe by an hour or so) and it was a very hot day. They were poured early morning. Before our concrete contractor left after everything was done, they sprayed a sealant on both sides, the right side being more dry than the left (this is what i think caused the discoloration on the left pad, that was not as dry as the right). They said it will go away eventually, and that it was because they poured them at two different times of the day.

I don't know what to think, but would just like to know what the discoloration is, why its there, and when it will go away. After building for over a year, we don't want the driveway to be the sore spot of our house :001_unsure:.
did the driveway ever cure correctly? I have a similar but worse issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts