DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
FlyingHammer
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready to pour a 30 x 50 gargage floor, and the contractor recommends I apply a curing agent rather than try to keep it wet for a week. Does anyone know approximately how much I'll need for a 1500 sf slab, and what I can expect to pay for it? Any other advise is also appreciated.

·
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
757 Posts
That is a little unusual that the contractor is asking you to supply and apply any post-pour agents or sealers. The cynic in me says he's looking for a way to avoid any future quality issues. "You bought the agent and you applied it, so you were the last one to touch it." But he could also simply be trying to avoid the scheduling hassle of returning for wetting or agent application. When we do post-pour treatments, honestly it's a scheduling hassle. But we always do it. Sometimes it's in the middle of the night. I have a pour tomorrow that we're going to have to return at 1 in the morning to apply an epoxy primer. It'll take longer for him to drive there and back than it will to apply the primer.

The construction manager in me is saying that it should be the contractor's responsibility to ensure the concrete cures properly, period. Start to finish. Blankets, wetting, agents, whatever. Just to ensure the chain of responsibility is unbroken.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts