DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Been looking for answers and found this place so I remain hopeful.

I'm working on a project to install 300 concrete cladding / tiles, each are 150mm wide and up to 50mm thick over 5 metres in a mosaic format.

As the cladding is in such small pieces & over a relatively small area, I am wondering of expansion gaps to prevent any cracking with thermal expansion is neccessary ?

I am also only using cast cement with no aggregate.

Thanks inadvance for any advice :)

· Naildriver
24,749 Posts
We'll need a little more information. Is this inside or outside. Will it be applied on a wooden floor structure or on a concrete base? Do you plan on using an isolator such as Ditra under the tiles?

Pictures of the tiles and the area to be covered will help us with our advice as well.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Concrete cladding expansion gaps

Thanks for the reply and apologies, this is going outside & in the South of the UK.

The cladding is going on a vertical concrete block work wall with the intention of installing the components as seamlessly as possible adjacent each other.

I was going to use mechanical fixings but having tested a flexible permanent adhesive that route will be easier. The adhesive has 22kg / cm2 tensile strength when cured & I have tested it holding with my bodyweight on one tile / piece of cladding.

Research suggests that a concrete slab can be 6 sqm before it needs an expansion joint. So I'm wondering if my small pieces of cladding already having a break at the edges will be enough to compensate any cracking on if they're close together with any thermal expansion?

This is for a public installation & I'm concerned to install the work as a seamless mosaic & without grout inbetween will lead to problems later.

I dont have pictures as yet unfortunately, hopefully that makes sense and any advice is appreciated, thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.