DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have foundation that's 10courses high. The contractor never filled the first 2courses . Does anyone think there will be a problem. The footing 2 ft by 1 foot thick . I can't fill it now as the house is back on its foundation .

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
I have foundation that's 10courses high. The contractor never filled the first 2courses . Does anyone think there will be a problem. The footing 2 ft by 1 foot thick . I can't fill it now as the house is back on its foundation .
How do you know he didn't fill it?

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
there will eventually be a problem of a bowing wall from lateral soil pressure however no one can quantify ' eventually ',,, suggest you have some grouted columns installed on 4' or 5' ctrs per the diagram on our w/site

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,890 Posts
Then you should probably thank him for not filling them. Most CMU wall construction is not intended to be filled completely, just vertical pilasters on min. centers. Actually, filling cores that don't have re-inforcement inside of the cell has more downsides than positives.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is wire lathe I guess that what you call it installed per every course between each block horizontally that i do know

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
A 10 course wall only 5' high is a little unusual.

The "wire lath" is actually horizontal joint reinforcement to prevent vertical shrinkage and thermal cracks and it is a sign they were not skimping.

Where are you located?

Most of the 12 or 13 course basement walls here are 12" thick hollow concrete block with NO reinforcement and only recently was vertical steel at 4' o.c. added as a prescriptive requirement, even if not needed structurally.

In most of the world a 5' high wall would not have to be grouted solid or reinforced.

Solid grouting of a wall does very little to increase the strength of the wall. Normally only reinforced block cells are grouted and special block may be used to gontrol where the grout is. Unnecessary filling or dumping everything gives people a "warm and fuzzy feeling", but is marginal in an overdesigned wall and can be detrimental, as pointed out earlier.

You may have been lucky since you were able to drill the holes and not have to get on the forum to find out what kind of drill to buy to do it.

If you don't have a problem don't do anything.

Dick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts