DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to fix my a/c, after a long work morning, the compressor seems to ice up on the outside, the suction line freezes quickly, the pressure line in air temp only. At the evaporator end, the suction and pressure lies are air temp only. Is the compressor output shorted somehow (could it be that the pressure line is blocked?), york 2 ton condensed installed in 2001, the unit never worked after it was installed, and the contractor will not respond.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Sounds like low on freon. Find another hvac contractor, due to you are stating that the one that installed it, will not respond to your calls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty savvy on a/c's, but i have never seen a compressor motor all frozen up since the motor generally produces heat. If the high line is plugged would the motor run and the output line shunted to the suction line to prevent motor burnout? The freezeup occurs within 5 minutes (today is extremely humid)
Thanks again
mandofeds

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
There is no way that the lines are going to clog, since this is a "closed loop" system. If it is freezing up, that means that the system is low on freon, or the a-coil is clogged, or both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gregzoll
Thanks for responding again, can the compressor motor housing actually generate frost on its body in about 5 minutes and the high pressure line only at ambient temp?
thank you
mandofeds

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
If it ices up that quickly it usually is due to a lack of airflow. Your evap coil may be dirty underneath or blocked with debris. Or your fan is not running or getting up to speed. If it is low on freon it usually takes 15-30 minutes for that to start to happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts