DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm referring to the fiber washer that seals at the threaded part of the valve. I had a stem leak after shutting off/on a 60 year old valve to do a faucet repair job.

The was a bit dried sediment at that point and when a tried to tighten the packing nut a bit, it moved suddenly a water came flying out. The washer used was way too big in diameter and wasn't seated in the pocket and broke as I tightened it. Luckily it was over the basement wash tubs and not much of a mess to speak of.

Even a plumber's supply doesn't carry them and nothing at Lowe's. This is for the future as I had one with the correct ID but the OD was too large so cut it down on a grinding wheel. Changed the seat seal and added packing as well.

Where do you buy the correct part??

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Gate vales at some point are always going to leak or not shut completely off.
At some point your going to wish you had of taken the time to changed it.

Reactions: rjniles

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,121 Posts
Sounds like something a unscrupulous professional plumber would say that rips people off by making a small job much bigger than need be just to make more money?
You will do real well on this forum. People will be falling over themselves trying to help you.😱

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Lot's of us here and been there done that more times then we can count.
None of us are going to make a dime on any of the advice given.
Just look at the design of a gate valve on the inside.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gat...NAhUCVT4KHSUMDREQsAQIJQ#imgrc=KEZCp7WOMJLu_M:
Those low areas that do the sealing when the gates closed tend to fill up with trash over the years stopping the gate from sealing.
The threads oxidize, the area that has to rotate where the gate connects to the shaft often locks up and snaps off.
The seals dry out and rot.
OK lets say you find that new seal and it stops leaking for the time being, how does that effect all the other inherent flaws with that type valve?
When I'm buying a house to live in and I see steel plumbing and or gate or globe valves I deduct the cost of replumbing off the asking price because of all the issues I've seen first hand working on houses for the past 40 something years.

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lot's of us here and been there done that more times then we can count.
None of us are going to make a dime on any of the advice given.
Just look at the design of a gate valve on the inside.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gat...NAhUCVT4KHSUMDREQsAQIJQ#imgrc=KEZCp7WOMJLu_M:
Those low areas that do the sealing when the gates closed tend to fill up with trash over the years stopping the gate from sealing.
The threads oxidize, the area that has to rotate where the gate connects to the shaft often locks up and snaps off.
The seals dry out and rot.
OK lets say you find that new seal and it stops leaking for the time being, how does that effect all the other inherent flaws with that type valve?
When I'm buying a house to live in and I see steel plumbing and or gate or globe valves I deduct the cost of replumbing off the asking price because of all the issues I've seen first hand working on houses for the past 40 something years.
I didn't ask for your advice, I asked where to purchase the proper washer.

This leak "only" occurred because I tried to tighten the packing nut. You've never tried to tighten a packing nut to stop a leak? You just replace the whole valve for a simple leak??

Your linked picture isn't for my particular valve. You can purchase the sealing washers in various sizes and packing as well but you opt to change the whole valve, every time? I'd send you packing!

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Reactions: Thurman

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We can't locate the exact repair part for you since you didn't say what type of valve it is or offer up a picture. You mentioned a stem nut- buy some graphite or teflon rope. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-3-32-in-x-24-in-Graphite-Valve-Stem-Packing-80793/203193511
It's very unlikely you'll find the part you need to replace the original. Ace hardware is where I'd look though if you want to continue the search.
Thanks! I have two cigar boxes full of odds and ends. I had some graphite packing. To make a correction, it's a old globe valve which uses the flat type stem washer to seal.

I didn't mention that I already went to ACE hardware with a fiber washer that was too small of an ID to go over the thread but fit the pocket easily. I bought a couple that were 1/16" over the ID/OD of my sample. That's the closest I could find.

Here's a picture of it. Don't think a BV would work here with the old 12"x 12" ceiling tile. There's a T fitting on the other side of that trim piece. Yep that should be a cooper clamp too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.