DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing a post support for my front porch roof, and railings down the steps leading up to the porch. This is my front entry. I like the look of the composite products, but am not sure of the advantages of composite versus the vinyl product. Can anyone offer a comparison ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please help, I need some advise. Is there any difference in the installation process? Is one product stand up better over time. Is it more structurally sound?

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
I happen to be finishing up a deck rail replacement project. I chose timbertech composite radiance rail. It is composite with a coating on top of it, in the white. There are other lines in TT as well as other manufacturers where the composite rail looks just like the deck. I did look at vinyl, but they did not seem very solid to me. What I liked about TT radiance rail is that it is pretty solid, all of the fasteners and clips are completely hidden, so you do not see any brackets. The installation instructions are fairly easy to follow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Composite railing dimensions

Thanks Ranger1227.

I have looked at the TimberTech and Fairways brand. I like both; however, because of the smaller dimensions of my project, I need something that might be a bit smaller than either of their 51/4 size. I am also looking at Certainteed brand; which measures 41/2 x 41/2. Do you have any opinion of that product?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not sure if I looked at Certainteed. I did my research last year and settled on TT, but waited until this year to spend the bucks. You may want to look at Trex as I think their profile was smaller as well. I did not care for Fairway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts