DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm in the process of building a deck. I'm using those dual threaded screws for composite deck boards. I've had a few that right as the head touches the board it strips. These are buggers to get back out at that point. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sink 'em the rest of the way? Can you use a punch and drive them below flush and then use a rubber mallet and flatten the material over the head? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
what exactly strips? the board? the hole? the head of the screw pops off? i'm confused, as usual.

DM

·
Umm.. U sure thats right?
47 Posts
How long are your screws? if you dont want to buy the impact driver use soap on the threads.... 2 people.... one to soap up, one to drive... i swear it works... :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all,
I'm in the process of building a deck. I'm using those dual threaded screws for composite deck boards. I've had a few that right as the head touches the board it strips. These are buggers to get back out at that point. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sink 'em the rest of the way? Can you use a punch and drive them below flush and then use a rubber mallet and flatten the material over the head? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John
Please Please, Do NOT use a mallet on that beautiful expensive composite decking. You spend lots of money on that sweet decking for its looks and low maintenance. When someone takes a hammer to 'fill in' the holes made by the screw, in my opinion, it ruins the look. It looks shoddy (that a word)?

Instead use a clip system to fasten the boards or if you have to screw from the top at least use a countersink bit and counter sink your screws. It will look much better trust me. It takes more time, but looks much better (and professional).

And yes never screw deck screws with a drill---spend the cash on a impact driver. You will wonder how you got by without one.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. Let's see, it's the PT joists that strip, I'm using 2-1/2" screws, I own an impact driver but was told not to use it. I've been pre-drilling the holes and following that with my cordless and a torx bit to set the screws. I was thinking I would drop down 1 drill size and see if that helps the stripping. I have about 6 screws so far that the head sits up above flush. Any guesses on how to sink them down a touch more?
Thanks again for the help,
John

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
i still do not understand how they're stripping the PT unless you're hitting concrete underneath or perhaps metal?
if that's the case, use shorter screws?

DM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Dangermouse,
I don't fully understand either, but there isn't an obstruction in the path of the screw ( the drill didn't hit anyting :)), the screw starts in fine and then right at the end it stops driving and just spins. I'm stumped

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
got any pics? deck and screws?
this is too weird.... if it's wood all the way, the screw will not stop.....

DM

·
Umm.. U sure thats right?
47 Posts
now i understand what's going on... i thought the screw wasnt driving all the way down and the head was striping.. Danger is right you have to be hitting something....hanger clip or something... i would say move the screw, but you dont want 2 holes, i would just try to angle the srew slightly the other direction and see if it goes in smooth... again you have to be hitting some metal on concrete thats stopping the screw...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a picture of the screw (except mine have a torx head). I'm using a 2x6 joist and a 2-1/2" screw. I don't think there can be anything under the screw to stop it. I'll try and take a picture of one of the problem screws tonight. Thanks again

Attachments

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Is it possible that by predrilling the holes in the PT joists, the screw doesn't have enough PT wood to bite on and just strips the wood and then spins freely in the hole?

I would try a couple where you only predrill through the composite and not the PT joists. See if the screw can bite into the PT lumber and tighten up.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Is it possible that by predrilling the holes in the PT joists, the screw doesn't have enough PT wood to bite on and just strips the wood and then spins freely in the hole?

I would try a couple where you only predrill through the composite and not the PT joists. See if the screw can bite into the PT lumber and tighten up.
I'm with Bill. What does the manufacturer recommend?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
if there is no plate underneath, i think ol' bill hit the nail right on the head... or the screw, as it were.

DM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The manufacturer only talks about pre-drilling at the ends of boards. I was told that pre-drilling would ease the install process, although it adds time. I think I'll try drtbk4ever's advice and try drilling only the composite.
I'm still left with about 6 screws standing tall. Any ideas to remedy this?
Thanks again,
John

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
fill 'em in and drive 'em agin'!
i'd try pot-sticker size doweling and don't predrill since it's already weakened.
use a flat ended scrap dowel and shove the pieces down enough to just fill the PT part (1"?), this should allow them to tighten properly.

DM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only problem with that is that once they spin, then they don't want to come out. I don't know if that is because of the right and left handed threads on each screw or what. The ones that drive correctly seem like they would be able to be driven right through the board. I'm not real sure I'm a fan of these screws. When they work right they really do look good, when they don't ...:furious:

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
slide a hard drive ceramic magnet to the end of your driver bit, touching the screw head and then hit reverse (forward?) slowly, that should help pull it back up. once you can get a hammer or crowbar or pliers on it, just pull it up.

DM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts