DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a new deck and--for God knows what reason--I used just one screw at a time to fasten the boards to the joists.

I know it's typical to do two screws on each joist, but am I screwed (pun intended) by using just one.

FYI: I have 12" joists, 1" composite boards, and 2" exterior screws.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Always 2 screws !

And what do you mean by exterier screws? That could mean a lot of things.
Does it say ACQ approved right on the box? If not there the wrong screws.

Most often I use 3" ceramic coated decking screws, and put them in with an impact drill driver.

Reactions: tobingrant

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
The boards may cup a bit--but should be pulled back to flat when you add two screws in the proper position---

Make sure the screws are ACQ compatible---the chemicals in the wood are very corrosive.

Reactions: tobingrant

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hidden fasteners have been my choice, and my customer's choice lately. But in your case I would certainly add the second screw. If you put one in the center you'll probably end up having to remove it and then install the two screws in accordance with the manufactuer's instructions.
It's tough on the back but it will be well worth it.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
If you only put one in the middle then your stuck removing that one and installing three so there is not a hole left in the middle, or an odd ball headed screw showing.
If you use composit decking screws, there going to have smaller heads and not shows as much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.