DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am now considering using a composite product for a railing coming up my steps to my front entry.
I need a smaller dimensional post ( 4 x4); so I'm looking at TREX and CertainTeed products. I just read a survey on this site about TREX composite decking which wasn't too flattering. Does anyone have an opinion about the two manufactures, and composite in general. Ant other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I read a very detailed report on line recently which gave some in depth facts and figures on almost every manufacturer. Bottom line was basically that there are some big differences between manufacturers, and between their claims and actual performance. I hesitate to use these products now unless the customer insists. I'm not a fan of PT lumber, so I steer customers toward cedar

·
Willing to listen
221 Posts
I installed Specrail black powder coated aluminum railing with my brown composite deck boards by Tamko/Evergrain. We are very happy with both. Specrail has preassembled rackable sections for steps. Posts are 3" square and they have several mounting options. It's very sturdy. Just a choice to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts