DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help here. I have worked with my fair share of furnaces, but this one is really got me confused. I am not sure on the brand, (I believe it is ICP). The model # is GDE075B12A1. It is a downflow furnace. It was a used furnace when I got it, and I temped power and gas to it to assure it was in working order before I installed it. It was almost a year before it got installed, and now it will not light. I suspected the honeywell smart valve, and replaced it. I also replaced the ignitor/flame sensor just for good measure. Everything works in the proper sequence, and the ignitor glows as it should. The gas to the pilot comes on as it should. However, the ignitor will not light the gas. I have checked the voltages, and all seems to be fine. I can hold a match to the pilot when the ignitor is glowing, and the furnace functions perfectly. I just cannot figure out why the ignitor will not ignite the gas! Can someone please help me out! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hate those smart valves & associated igniters.

Are you sure the pilot gas is coming on exactly when the igniter is capable of igniting it?
Are you sure that nothing is diverting the flow of pilot gas away from the igniter?
Is the pilot output too small to reach the igniter?
Anything blowing towards the pilot area when the ignition is glowing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty sure the gas is coming on when needed. I have tried manually lighting it at all different times of before/during/after the ignitor is glowing.

After manually lighting the pilot, it is pretty clear that the gas is being directed right at the ignitor. The flame totally envelopes it as it should.

From what I can tell there is nothing blowing on the ignitor. When there is flame, it seems like it is burning as it normally should with no breeze on it.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Probably and I have had it happen several times is the orifice in the pilot burner is partly plugged (especially with a used unit or one that was in a damp location, they get corroded or rust in them from the pilot burner etc) and you are not getting the proper spray and and amount of gas from it. Shoving a match in there is not the same scenario. Replace the enitre pilot assembly and it should be okay. Not worth the hassle to replace the orifice as they are soft aluminum and usually get damaged/deformed when trying 2 remove them. Also the hood of the burner will warp with age and the gas angle changes. VERY common problem with Whisperheats.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Yep, I carry the whole pilot assembly and those dammn finicky units deserve a new burner to prevent callbacks and headaches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts