DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 215yr old farmhous that I am refurbing and want to keep as much as possible original, we are redoing the bathroom right now and desperately
Need professional guidance on wide pumpkin pine floor refinishing, to me it seems to have a varnish on it medium Amber color, and we do not want poly of any type used. I thought I found the answer for finish using Waterlox sealer and satin finish. But it sounds like terrible stuff to be around especially in the winter, but it would give us the color and protection we need,,,,please please we welcome any other ideas

Thank you

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
215 year old house, keeping it original.?
You need a good old fashion library, museum, or somebody who knows the recipes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
original meaning

What I mean by original is no plastic looking poly on the floor, of coarse
enhances the beauty, while protecting the floor, again waterlox sounds awesome but the curing process and the fumes. ????????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Varnish/shellac?

I am not familiar with either product , would either be good in a bathroom ? Waterloo seems to soak in and then build up, shellac varnish I hear seems to be a surface finish, I don't know I just want the beauty of the grain to show while being protected.

Thank you

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Have a look over at the This Old House website. They have restored plenty of 200+ year old This Old Houses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
215 yr wide pine w/ waterlox

Nothing wrong with waterlox. It's used on floors quite frequently.
I agree waterlox was my choice but, living in the house w/family and pets in the winter w/ the fumes. Exhausting the fumes and keepin temp @70 is gonna be tough, but its only the master bath,,, also seeing its pine should I use a conditioner or would the sealer/satin combo b good enough.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
I did a lot of restoration of the older antique homes and we installed the antique heart pine floors in most homes. We did have a flooring company who we trusted to do the finish because most floors were hand scraped then finished. I can not for the sake of me remember what they used but it did hold up well and always looked great.

Take a look in this link, just scroll down to the waterlox part, it may change your mind. 9 months is a little long to live with the smell of that stuff. If you are against the look of poly because of the look, why not go with a matt finish. Although it would be harder to keep clean. A semi gloss or very low sheen would would be good. I will leave that to the flooring guys.
http://www.peteshardwoodfloors.com/Wood-Floor-Techniques-101/

I do remember one client who used a tinted Briwax, but we didn't do the finish we only installed.
http://www.briwax.com/briwaxpp.htm

One thing I do remember was one client used a gloss poly in her kitchen. (we did not do that install) The floor looked really bad in the high traffic areas, the finish had worn off and really the floor needed to be totally refinished.

Here is one technique:
How to Finish Heart Pine or Heart Cypress
Which finish you choose for your Heart Pine or Heart
Cypress floor depends on your preferences for maintenance,
durability and drying time. The single best choice
is always the one that your floor professional knows best.
Some of the most popular choices are:
• one coat of penetrating oil sealer, 2 to 4 coats of oil
modified polyurethane with 40-50% solid content
• one coat of water based sealer, 2 to 4 coats of
waterborne polyurethane ¾ look for 30% solid content
• one coat of penetrating oil sealer, 2 coats of Tung Oil
(requires longer drying time)
• wood conditioner, 2 to 4 coats of moisture cure
• one or more coats of penetrating oil sealer plus wax

This was taken from :
http://www.heartpine.com/resources/downloads/finishing.pdf

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I should have taken more notice of my subs techniques, but they were all top of the line so I just didn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts