DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the gravel base for a 12' x 4' paver add on to our concrete patio. The pavers will be for placing our grills on. Went at least 6" deep on the gravel, went through a yard of 411 limestone and had to get another 5 cubic feet of paver base from home depot. That's why the different color in the pics below.

Initially had planned on finishing it all today, but my lovely wife thought we should add a third row of pavers. This was after excavating for just two rows and already had purchased the pavers. It made sense to do the third row, but it messed up all my planning.

With that in mind, I'll need to return the compactor and wasn't sure if I should rent it again for the finishing sand for between the joints? I want to use the polymeric sand, just not sure if it'll hold without the compaction. Also an a bit worried it may damage the pavers as well.

Second question, for the 1 inch sand base, how much wiggle room do I have for building up, say 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch? May need to adjust a bit to get the paver flush to slightly higher than the patio.

Third question, is there a best practice/rule of thumb for how close the paver should be to the concrete patio?

We are in SW Ohio do we do see snow from time to time.
HD

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finished laying the pavers, but didn't get a chance to put in the polymeric sand for the joints. Was looking for it in grey but it seems to only be stocked in tan. Went to Menards, Lowe's and home depot and only tan.

The pavers are covered with tarps now as we are expecting some rain the next couple of days.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most every masonry/landscape supply yard around here carries "Techniseal" poly sand in grey & tan.
Thanks for the suggestion! I went to a local place and while they didn't carry the Techniseal, they had Alliance Gator polymeric sand, and it was in grey. Hopefully all goes well and will have it installed tonight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.