DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to run Siamese cable RG59/18-2 for security cameras in a commercial environment. I am wondering if it needs to be cl2, cl3, cmr? I wont be going thru a plenum ceiling, so I know I won't be needing plenum.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
It is a commercial job, your local AHJ will tell you what they require. Also some areas require the person doing to job, to not only pull a permit, but also be licensed and bonded.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just have to love these responses!!:thumbsup:

I thought this forum was to help out DIY? I am just asking a simple question on types of cabling, feels like I'm taking your job!!!

Thanks!

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
This is not a DIY job. It is a commercial structure as you mentioned, which means licensed professional and permit pulled.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
Thanks guys:thumbsup:
No problem! :thumbsup: BTW, you could always just do the required courses and on the job training, achieve your license in the electrical field and then answer your own question. :) and then feel the same way we do when you come across a DIY forum and ask a question about a commercial application. just saying.

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
if it's his own business he can install it depending on the state he lives in as long as it doesn't notify the police. I somehow doubt this is the case here though. Apparently security systems don't fall under electrical work. Most likely will have to pull a permit either way though.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
if it's his own business he can install it depending on the state he lives in as long as it doesn't notify the police. I somehow doubt this is the case here though. Apparently security systems don't fall under electrical work. Most likely will have to pull a permit either way though.
Security systems certainly do fall under the NEC...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Hi all,

I need to run Siamese cable RG59/18-2 for security cameras in a commercial environment. I am wondering if it needs to be cl2, cl3, cmr? I wont be going thru a plenum ceiling, so I know I won't be needing plenum.

Thanks for all the help.

Is this an existing building or new construction? If it's new it should be spec'd somewhere unless it's an addition. If it's existing, the AHJ just may be the right place to go. Is cost the issue here?

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
Security systems certainly do fall under the NEC...
yes they are in the NEC, no you don't have to be an electrician to install camera's

i should have said they don't fall under an electrical license instead of electrical work.
I'm not sure where i said they weren't covered in the code.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
yes they are in the NEC, no you don't have to be an electrician to install camera's

i should have said they don't fall under an electrical license instead of electrical work.
I'm not sure where i said they weren't covered in the code.
Sorry, but there are some areas, that you have to be a licensed electrician to work on LV systems. And even better, is if it is a union job, you would never be able to do the work, because the union would never let a non-union business on site.

Yes, it is about a money grab, but also about doing things correct, is why some areas want a company to be bonded and licensed, no matter what the job is, or who is doing it.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Hmm...using "even better" and union job" in the same sentence seem like a contradiction.:laughing:
It depends on the company and the guys and gals doing the job. I have seen bad and I have seen good for union jobs. What is even better, is when you have a gal on the job and she runs circles around the guys that are also union, and fixes their problems.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I'm not denying the quality and standards of union work. But the fact that unions have outlived their usefulness and purpose is an accepted belief. But that's another discussion. :whistling2:

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
I'm not denying the quality and standards of union work. But the fact that unions have outlived their usefulness and purpose is an accepted belief. But that's another discussion. :whistling2:
depends on the non union company, some of them are absolutely great places to work. Some of them grossly underpay their guys. There's no way a good tradesman should ever be making the same as a low to mid level paper pusher, no offense to the office diy'rs out there. There's also no way some of the union guys should be getting as much as they are either lol. I've been union for 10 years and it's been good for me, we operate a little different up here north of the border though.

Up here non union and union can be on the same jobsite, we coexist for the most part unless the general contractor won't allow it.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
because the union would never let a non-union business on site.
I've been on countless jobs with union carpenters, plumbers, HVAC...and there has never been an issue...not even a mention of it. (Unless your statement was concerning electricians and low voltage contractors specifically)

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
I've been on countless jobs with union carpenters, plumbers, HVAC...and there has never been an issue...not even a mention of it. (Unless your statement was concerning electricians and low voltage contractors specifically)
Bingo. Reason being, that most LV contractors have no skills or knowledge of the NEC. I worked for one of those companies back in the early 90's, when 100baseT was becoming the norm. Company went out of business shortly after I left. I could not fathom the number of jobs that someone or some company had to come in behind them to fix all of the problems they caused. One job in particular still sticks in mind. Too large of a job, and only two of us on site for the 100+ drops that had to be done. A whole lot of short cuts, and I still have half my tongue gone to this date, due to how many times I ended up biting a chunk off, vs. continuing beratement of the idiot in charge of the job

1 - 20 of 20 Posts