DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a comfortmaker softsound 1000+ heat pump (model chp048akc3). Last night, the condensor started making a loud whinig sound. When I checked it out, the fan was not spinning, but looked like it wanted to. I gave it a nudge, and it started spinning again, then slowed down and stopped. Hard. Nudged it, and back to spinning. I thought it might be the bearings in the motor were shot. But with the unit off, the motor spins freely, no binding that I can see. Any ideas what may be wrong with this motor? Could it be the capacitor? Do i need a new motor? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other question. I found a replacement fan at Grainger. It is not OEM, but seems dang close. Same voltage, frame, bolts, size, everything. Only difference is RPM. According to the specs for my unit, the original fan runs at 840 RPM. This new motor runs at 1075 RPM. Is this going to work? I would think a little more RPM shouldn't hurt. It it wasn't enough, I caould understand. Any ideas?

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
Check the capacitor.. If it's the motor. It would be wise to replace it with the same RPM & install new fan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts