DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
6,520 Posts
You say I can get load bearing metal studs. Okay, I'll look for those. Would they have those at a standard home-improvement center? Also, how would I support the structure while I remove the wooden studs? Do I have to use a jack or something? Or is that unnecessary?
You won't find them at home centers. You'd need to go to a drywall and steel stud specialty supplier...Just about any average city has one or two to service commercial construction needs.

Personally, I don't think that replacement of wall framing with steel studs is the way to go for most DIYers unless you have some very compentent assistance. To answer your "how do I support..." question, a temporary wall is normally built a couple feet away from the bearing wall to be removed/replaced, on either side of it. That wall will support the floor/roof above if done correctly.

I wish I could offer a solution other than the addition of refractory firebrick with refractory mortar to the wall, but I can't.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
mornin' kc! this is not that big of a problem, and there are lots of options to use. makes it much easier. =o)

DM

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
Again, a drywall supply will have or can order the appropriate gauge studs (probably 16 ga.) As KC pointed out this may be a bit more than you want to take on as a DIY'er. Temporary support walls, are a MUST. You won't cut heavy gauge studs with tin snips.....you'll need a cutoff saw of some sort. Self tapping screws to hang the durock. Have you contacted your local building inspector or , even better, fire marshall for input?? They can tell you exactly what's required. If you're going to the extent you're considering, you should permit the job anyway. If for no other reason, to cover yourself from liability on down the line when you sell.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
@MdangermouseM-- I like your idea of modifying the archway to extend the wall slightly if I have to.
i meant to say if they go this route, there will be no need for the support wall, however, you all know my views on pulling a permit and having it inspected properly!

DM

·
Registered
6 Posts
:furious: refractory firebrick with refractory mortar is the only soultion.

wall can be supported by normal supporting soultions

21 - 26 of 26 Posts