DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even sure what it's called, so unsure how to Search. I've seen, somewhere, a gadget one installs in a drill, allowing one to pre-drill a hole, then flip the gadget over and drive the screw. Any experience with these, where to get, any caveats? I'm finding running two drills or drivers to do repetitive screw installs tiring.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
I know what your talking about, it was one of those as seen on TV items.
I use the one that Neal suggested, less parts to brake.
And yes they do sell hex drill bits that fit it.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
I'm finding running two drills or drivers to do repetitive screw installs tiring.
The flipping of the bit is handy for a few holes. But it also takes time. When you have a lot of holes to do, I find it quicker to use two drills or a drill and impact driver. Drill bit in the first one, screwdriver bit in the second tool.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
retired framer
59,652 Posts
Thank you; I ordered one and it showed up yesterday and I look forward to trying it. I realize that I'm now at a part of the project I am working on requires drilling & driving in tight enough quarters that I need to get a right-angle electric drill, so I cannot yet report on performance.
There is a little gadget you can get for the drill to change direction. Save your money.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks - but I have one of those, had it for years; possibly it's the quality level but I find it horribly unweildly, cannot imagine using one hand for the drill-driver, one to hold the right angle adapter, and still drive a screw.

There is a little gadget you can get for the drill to change direction. Save your money.

·
retired framer
59,652 Posts
Thanks - but I have one of those, had it for years; possibly it's the quality level but I find it horribly unweildly, cannot imagine using one hand for the drill-driver, one to hold the right angle adapter, and still drive a screw.
I rigged up something to hold it just before the plastic gears wore out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The DeWalt gadget worked great (I'm attaching Rubbermaid melamine-over-board shelves to the brackets) except (a) on some bottom shelves, working so close to the floor that even with a right-angle drill there's no room for the Dewalt tool, so I had to repeatedly switch back and forth between a drill bit and a screwdriver bit, but that's OK, and (b) wow, in drill mode the tip of the bit wobbles rather a lot, although I do no not think it had a detrimental effect on the drilling. Glad I got the tool - but it drills one size hole and drives one size screw, thus I might need to buy more of that series...

And the Ryobi cordless right angle drill worked well too, and even in some odd places where I was holding it at arm's length, I was able to drill, then install the screws.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.