DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning. At this link Images , you'll find pictures of a crack on an interior wall. It has me really confused as to the type of damage we're truly dealing with. Im the type of person that likes to know whats wrong before i have someone come out and tell me whats wrong. Hopefully you guys can help me before the weekend is over.

This is an interior living room wall with a office/bedroom on the opposite side. No windows or doors on this wall. I have a 1 story steel exterior, wood studded home in South Florida propped up on a perimeter/crawlspace foundation. The crack is at 7 ft above grade and runs right (direction) towards the bead/corner of the wall, and then corners down 90 degrees to the baseboard. The crack that goes downward has a foot long worth of jagged 45 degree angle tears. The inside of the crack, the left side seems to be pushing down against the right side. The crack at the top is only a little over 1/16 of an inch wide. I can fit my nail into it.

Am I dealing with structural problems or is this just settling? All photos are right side up, so that theres no confusing as to the direction the crack runs Im not using the level to indicate anything, i was just trying to use it to better frame the crack in the wall at the baseboard. The floor is otherwise leveled. I hope the pictures provide enough clarity, the color and texture of the wall can diminish ability to see the crack

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
is that a sheet rock wall? looks like someone stuccoed or textured the wall and that crack is following where the sheet rock ends come together...could be a bad tape job before they textured the wall...if it stays hairline, most likley its not a structural problem..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its a sheetrock wall. Ive been monitoring the crack since the day it occured and it did get worse than the first day but hasn't cracked more than 1/16. I was told that i should worry if i can fit a dime into it. If it doesnt move, should i plan puddy/patch it or replace the sheetrock panel

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the size of the crack is not the issue, it could have been framed with green wood and as it dries out and shrinks, that can cause the crack, is it a load bearing wall? how old is the house, or how old is this wall?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The house was built in 72 and the only remodel or permit for construction was back in 73 so im as sure as i can be that its the original wall. The previous owner made no changes. Our weather down here in Florida has taken a turn(not a complaint, have you seen DC? Yikes). Temps are way lower than usual i dont run the heater at night.

Yes thats a load bearing wall

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have moldings in my house that shrink in the winter and have a 1/4 inch gap and in the summer they swell back up and no gap...the change in moisture is enough to cause that cracking..we just got 16+ inches of snow here...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i really hoping that its just settlement cracks or climate change but i self diagnosed my house with a faulty foundation and I just moved in. Im definitely not ready for that type of problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im hoping i dont but ive been told that horizontal cracks in drywall could mean foundation trouble. and since the house is propped up on a crawlspace, it could have meant a lose girder or joist

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
well its time to crawl into the crawl space and see whats going on instead of guessing, didnt you have a house inspection before buying? how long ago did you buy it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so funny you mention the house inspection. The report is the first thing i grabbed once i read i could have foundation trouble. I go to the page about the foundation and i find the first boo boo. Let me preface this by saying, although i probably doesnt matter, i was not present for the inspection. I reviewed the report and everything was fine so that was that. back to the present, the boo boo. He marked it as a slab. But its clearly a subfloor. What that means to me is that he made a huge mistake or avoided venturing into the crawlspace.
I contact the inspector via email and he states that because the house is covered in siding, it wasnt visible. Well thats BS, because while the house may indeed be covered with vinyl siding, the door to the crawlspace is clearly visible below the siding. The siding doesnt cover the foundation.
He copy and pastes a paragraph about the dangers of crawlspaces into the email and then adds that they chose not to fully inspect crawlspaces for those reasons. So now my question is, did you not inspect it because you didnt see it or because of the possible dangers? If either is the case, then it should have been in the report. Im thinking through my response to the inspector

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
im thinking you need to solve 2 issues, one the inspector could be liable as he did not inspect the crawl and foundation, but represented he did, If you have a lawyer ask what recourse you have. second have a reputable contractor take a look to see if there is anything to worry about in the crawl space..in reality there may be nothing wrong..houses old and new have cracks in sheet rock just from poor installation to normal movement in a house...but untill you can inspect the crawl space to make sure. that would be my priority...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i took a crawl underneath and while i may not be a professional, i saw no problems that would indicate a cause for the crack in the wall. I found that steel joists underneath and not exhibited any damage. The crack has not become any worse than it was for over a week now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts