DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m seeking some advice. I would like to add more character to a column. I believe what I want is not too involved and would like some guidance on what wood to purchase and approach to take to achieve my goal.

Here is a pic of the column in place now. It’s a narrow column, about 10 inches wide.
Shade Grey Rectangle Wood Composite material

Window blind Window Rectangle Wood Gas

Here is a pic of what I’d like to achieve.
Furniture Rectangle Pedestal Column Table

If someone could offer some assistance that would be great.
Thank you.

·
retired framer
53,640 Posts
List the tools you have, there are ways to do it like a cabinet maker with all the tools or do a bunch of cheating.

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
I would replace the lower trim board with 5 or 7" speed base, then the quarter round. For the top, you'll need to look to see what suits your fancy as far as a decorative trim as pictured.

Woodgrain Millwork WM 163 - 11/16 in. x 1-3/8 in. Primed Finger-Jointed Base Cap Moulding-10000498 - The Home Depot

·
retired framer
53,640 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
Rather than making "panels", use molding pieces to form the squares to break up the plain wood sides, then add border and change the base.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neal why did you put the question marks?

I believe I was where both you guys are, using trim. How would I deal with where the pieces of trim meet? Could those pieces install on top of the current base?

Rectangle Slope Triangle Parallel Symmetry

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
In order to make it look like your photo you would basically need to remove everything existing on the top and bottom and start over.

If you just want to add more interest, you could keep all your existing as is and simply add the extra shelf molding on top. And then create a panel frame on each side by adding some sort of panel molding.

I think that's pretty much what Larry suggested earlier. And I agree the base should be much taller to have the proper height ratio. It's a bit anemic right now.

·
retired framer
53,640 Posts
Neal why did you put the question marks?

I believe I was where both you guys are, using trim. How would I deal with where the pieces of trim meet? Could those pieces install on top of the current base?

View attachment 673722
You want the total on both sides to be the same, you could 45* the corners and both would be the same.
But if you lap them like I did in the picture, the size of the smaller on depends on the thickness of the first.
So if the first piece was 2 1/4 x3/4 the smaller one would be 1 1/2"

Using what is there, yes as long as it is square, plumb and all that. Or close enough you can accept some odd bits.
Caulk is wonderful.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You want the total on both sides to be the same, you could 45* the corners and both would be the same.
But if you lap them like I did in the picture, the size of the smaller on depends on the thickness of the first.
So if the first piece was 2 1/4 x3/4 the smaller one would be 1 1/2"

Using what is there, yes as long as it is square, plumb and all that. Or close enough you can accept some odd bits.
Caulk is wonderful.
Can’t find 2-1/4 x 3/4 anywhere. 😩

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I will do the following. See this pic. I will create the extra shelf of molding on top about 5” from my existing top and add the outside corners. Also replace the lower trim board with 5" speed base as suggested. If I can find a pic I will post it but this one is close but the very top does not match what I have.

Cloud Sky Blue Building Azure

·
retired framer
53,640 Posts
I think I will do the following. See this pic. I will create the extra shelf of molding on top about 5” from my existing top and add the outside corners. Also replace the lower trim board with 5" speed base as suggested. If I can find a pic I will post it but this one is close but the very top does not match what I have.

View attachment 673773
You can buy the corners in that picture it is about 1 1/2" each way.
We have a company here that make real wood bi fold doors, I have seen them adapted for wrapping a post.
Property Flowerpot Plant Door Wood
Building Fixture Door Wood Floor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts